[AL-Directors] New Law Regulating "Swiping" of Drivers Licenses

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Thu Jul 16 11:50:11 PDT 2009

Dear Directors:
I wanted you to be informed about HB 2371 which passed in the Legislature
and has been signed by the Governor. This new law, which takes effect on
January 1, 2010, regulates how public and private entities may use
information obtained by "swiping" drivers licenses, permits and
identification cards. For public entities (i.e., most libraries) the law
requires that an individual knowingly make their card available for swiping.

A copy of the bill is attached. See section (7) for the part of the bill
that pertains to public entities.

Though it is uncommon, we have heard of libraries that have on occasion made
a practice of swiping drivers licenses. I'm sure in these cases the card was
willingly provided to library staff for swiping, so it is hard to imagine
how a library might violate this law.  Nonetheless, I thought it would be
good for you to be aware of it.

Let me know if you have any questions about HB 2371. --> Jim

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301