[AL-Directors] FW: [Libs-Or] Of Interest to Academic Libraries: Reminder About Your Gale Support Site

Jim Scheppke jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us
Wed Jun 30 16:04:29 PDT 2010

Dear Directors:
Today the State Library sent this message out to the libs-or list. I am forwarding it to you to be sure you are aware of this effort to improve the Gale database products for academic libraries.

A key strategy here is to have your staff tell Gale what journal titles they do not provide that your students and faculty need.

I’d ask you to personally ask your staff to do this routinely as they come across titles that Gale does not have. We’ve made it easy to do.

We heard about a lot of titles that Gale does not have during our procurement process last year. Gale says they will make every effort to add titles they do not have if we just let them know about them.

We know that most of you are having to pay a lot to have two general reference database products right now. Our hope would be to see the Gale products improve to the point that many of you would not have to do this. This will only happen with your cooperation to let Gale know where they fall short.

I hope you will communicate to your staff about this.

Jim Scheppke, State Librarian
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
503-378-4367
(fax) 503-585-8059
jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us

[cid:3360758669_1693225]Go Green, Keep it on screen - think before you print.