[AL-Directors] Reminder: Report Intellectual Freedom Challenges & Issues to State Library's OIFC

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Thu Jan 11 16:29:35 PST 2018

Hi, Library Directors,

This is just a friendly reminder to please report any intellectual freedom challenges and issues experienced at your library since the last time you reported any. :-) I believe that the last reminder went out in July 2017.

            http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/projects/OIFC/Report.aspx

As a review, the Oregon Intellectual Freedom Clearinghouse<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/projects/OIFC/index.aspx> (OIFC) collects reports on all types of intellectual freedom incidents at academic, school, and public libraries and institutions. In the past, the OIFC only collected reports about materials challenges. The expanded scope reflects the changes that the ALA Office of Intellectual Freedom made to the ALA challenge report form<http://www.ala.org/tools/challengesupport/report> in January 2017.

The OIFC report form is very similar to the ALA form. We compile the reports that we receive from Oregon library staff into an annual report on intellectual freedom issues that we submit to ALA. The OIFC will not publish identifying information.

We collect reports on the following intellectual freedom issues:

*         Materials challenges (books, movies, music, magazines)

*         Internet-related challenges (filtering, access to computers, use policies)

*         Library services (meeting rooms, programs, author visits, exhibits, hold shelf practices)

*         Patron privacy or confidentiality issues (personally identifying information, circulation records)

*         Hate crime (defacement of library/institution property to target a specific group; use of swastikas or other symbols of intimidation, harassment or assault on library property)

*         Other

You can fill out an online form or a PDF version<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/projects/OIFC/Report.aspx>. If you choose the PDF version, please send it Ferol Weyand:

*         Email => ferol.weyand at state.or.us<mailto:ferol.weyand at state.or.us>

*         Fax => 503-378-6439

*         Mail => Ferol Weyand, State Library of Oregon, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR 97301

Please let Ferol or me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jen

P.S. I will also send this request to Libs-Or and to the OASL listserv.

Jen Maurer, MLS
School Library Consultant
jennifer.maurer at state.or.us<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us> | 503-378-5011 | www.oregon.gov/osl/ld<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/ld>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/orlibsupport> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ORLibSupport> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>