[AL-Directors] Library reopening guidance

Jennifer Patterson Jennifer.L.Patterson at state.or.us
Thu Jun 4 11:41:37 PDT 2020

Hello Colleagues,
The reopening guidance document for libraries has been finalized and is attached and posted on the State Library Reopening Guidance<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus/Reopening> page of the COVID-19 LibGuide<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus/home>. It took longer than expected to go through the review process, and I apologize that this wasn't available sooner. I know that you have all been moving forward to restore service levels using a variety of approaches, and I hope that this guidance is helpful in informing your decision-making and working within your local jurisdictions as you continue to move forward. A few things of note in the attached guidance:

*         You will notice that this is on State Library letterhead rather than OHA letterhead. The Governor's office decided that this guidance would come from the State Library since the Governor didn't close libraries as part of the original Stay Home, Save Lives executive order. Although this hasn't been reviewed by OHA, it was written in coordination with the Governor's office and aligns with OHA general guidance.

*         The original draft had a section of required actions and a section of suggested actions, modeled after the other sector guidance issued by OHA. After DOJ counsel review, it was determined that the State Library does not have authority to issue mandatory requirements related to COVID-19 to local libraries under its inherent authority or under the Governor's executive orders.  Given this, the guidance was revised to be recommendations instead of mandatory requirements. However, you will want to make sure to comply with any relevant state-issued general guidance for all of the phases.

*         This guidance document falls under statewide guidance, rather than under one of the reopening phases since libraries were not closed by the Governor. You will want to monitor the Governor's COVID-19 website<https://govstatus.egov.com/or-covid-19/> for details related to each phase and how it may impact your operations.

*         I consulted with our DOJ counsel regarding statewide guidance on requiring visitors to wear face coverings in public facilities. He was not able to provide statewide guidance, so you will see that the attached guidance document asks that you refer to your local legal counsel with any questions related to this issue.

The State Library has gathered many additional resources related to reopening on the Reopening Guidance<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus/Reopening> page of the COVID-19 LibGuide<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus/home>. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Thank you!

Jennifer

Jennifer Patterson
State Librarian
jennifer.l.patterson at state.or.us<mailto:jennifer.l.patterson at state.or.us>