[Answerland] Question to answer: Cool Whip transportation

Tamara Ottum tamara.ottum at state.or.us
Wed Nov 13 15:01:57 PST 2019

For those that are curious, here was the response:

" I don't know if this is a complete answer, but I did find a patent application that had a pretty good explanation of the probable reason. Method and Apparatus for Producing Frozen Food Products https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/52/d0/1f/f6c28d
c693f1b4/US20150296859A1.pdf (U.S. Patent Application US 2015//0296859 A1), has the following passage (para. 16 ):

The altitude problem is defined as the degradation in the quality and stability of foam products during transpor-
tation or storage, due to pressure variations resulting from
altitude changes occurringen-route. For example, when foam
products are transported from a low altitude location to a high
altitude location the ambient pressure proximate the foam
product decreases. This change in ambient pressure causes
the gas in the foam product to expand, which in turn adversely impacts the stability of the foam structure. In many cases, this
gas expansion in the foam product results in coalescence of
the individual gas bubbles and ultimately leads to a channel
ing effect and escape of the gas from the foam product.
Because the trapped air or gas bubbles form a significant portion of the total foam product Volume, any change in
Volume of trapped air or gas bubbles due to pressure varia
tions may lead to product damage, leakage and, in Some
cases, container deformation during shipping of the foam
product to higher altitudes. On the other hand, when the
expanded foam products are transported from the high alti
tude location to a lower altitude location, the ambient pres Sure proximate the foam product increases causing contrac-
tion of the foam, which causes the product to appear to have
shrunk."