[Iscn-members] Guidance for packing and managing e-waste

WORTMAN David * DAS David.WORTMAN at das.oregon.gov
Wed Jan 24 15:24:06 PST 2024

ISCN Team:

I sent these guidance documents out in 2023, but I wanted to re-send them in the spirit of continuing communication about packing and shipping electronic waste to Garten, our e-waste service provider. Garten is giving us feedback and continues to report issues with shipments received from state agencies. Two items in particular:

  1.  Please share with your IT folks - and anyone working with packing e-waste - the attached guidelines for proper packing practices. As an Oregon Forward organization, Garten relies on being able to re-purpose and re-sell items like monitors and laptops to support their mission. If shipments from state agencies are not properly packed, they often get damaged when shipped and can't be re-used. We want to support Garten's mission, and the spirit of sustainability and environmental stewardship of our state assets.

  1.  Second, Garten is fully certified and equipped to securely wipe hard drives received from agencies. In very few cases do these need to be destroyed. If you see Slide 18 on the Powerpoint slides, you will see the certifications and clearances they have to securely handle agency hard drives. Despite this, they are still receiving regular requests from agencies to destroy hard drives. For similar reasons, this means that they end up being disposed when they can be safely re-purposed. Garten is always available to answer your questions or address any concerns you have about data security.

We are continuing to work with the CIO Council and with other channels to get out this guidance to those who need to see it. It would help us tremendously if you could share this guidance in your agencies.

Thank you for your collaboration,

Dave
[cid:image001.jpg at 01DA4ED7.60EE5C20]

Dave Wortman, LEED-AP BD+C, ISSP-SA
Statewide Sustainability Officer
DAS Office of Sustainability<https://www.oregon.gov/das/pages/office-of-sustainability.aspx>
(971) 304-8733
Pronouns: he/him/his

Data Classification: Level 1 - Published