[kids-lib] summer reading products and the environment

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Aug 21 11:18:13 PDT 2009

Hello!  A small group of you contacted me to express concern that Upstart summer reading products are not environmentally friendly.  I emailed the chair of CSLP's vendor committee to let her know Oregon librarians' concern, and recommended that Upstart start providing more environmentally friendly promotional materials and incentives.

The CSLP vendor committee chair replied:

Upstart is working towards becoming environmentally friendly. The following is from the 2010 incentive catalog.

"Upstart is going green. Preserving the environment is a global responsibility, and we've made a commitment to do our part! All posters and bookmarks for the 2010 CSLP are printed on recycled paper, and our plastic book bags with drawstrings are made from recycled/recyclable material."

I will happily pass your comments on to Heidi so Upstart can see the importance of "Going Green!".

This may seem like a small step, but one I thought you would want to know about.

Katie

katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528