[kids-lib] FYI: early language development article

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Wed Jul 8 13:22:05 PDT 2009

I thought some of you may find this article on conversation and language development interesting.

UCLA Study: Give Young Children a Chance to Converse http://tiny.cc/zL9OX
Lisa Guernsey
June 29, 2009 - 11:45am

If you don't have time to read the article, here are a few key points I took away from it:

This study links early language skills to the amount of time children spend engaged in back-and-forth conversation with adults.

Past research focuses on talking with children to build vocabulary.

This study builds on that past research: "While vocabulary development is important, we find that the effect of the conversation is six times as great as the words."

Parents and caregivers should engage young children in conversation, and encourage them to express themselves.

The study also found that TV viewing was "associated with lower language scores".  Essentially finding that time spent in front of the TV meant less time engaged in conversation, and that adult-child conversation during TV viewing may reduce its negative impact on language development.

katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528