[kids-lib] professional development opportunity

Katie Anderson anderson_katie at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Thu Oct 29 11:14:10 PDT 2009

Professional development opportunity: only $35!
Saturday November 21, 2009
Conference details and registration: http://tiny.cc/kRoNE
OregonASK website: http://www.oregonask.org/

OregonASK is sponsoring a conference for staff working directly with children and teens (K-12th Grades)-supervisors will find it valuable too!  OregonASK is the statewide network for afterschool providers.  If you provide programs of kids K-12 in the evenings, weekends, and summers when they are not in school, you are an afterschool provider.

There are several programs at this conference that directly relate to your work in libraries.

Changing Your Perspectives about Kids with the 40 Developmental Asset Model
The 40 Assets (http://www.search-institute.org/assets/) have been used by YALSA in a number of ways.  I first learned about them at an OYAN meeting.  Many teen librarians are using the 40 Assets checklist to guide program planning, and to advocate for teen programs.  "This session is designed to expose you to the Assets model and how you can apply them into your sphere of influence."

ADD/ADHD: What We Know and What We are Learning (Double session)
Many of the children and teens you work with struggle with Attention Variable Syndromes such as ADD.  They may have difficulty following along in storytime or be difficult to help with their homework.  At this session you will ".learn about the 3 sub-types of AVS and the struggles children have with each sub-type. Then learn some strategies to help them cope better, in structured situations. Discover the good qualities of AVS, the special gifts it may bring and the power skills to build on."

Building Literacy in Afterschool (Double Session)
It seems that library workshops in Oregon tend to focus on services for children 0-5 years old and teens. What about professional development in literacy activities for elementary school students?  "Through hands on exploration, afterschool professionals will be able to understand and apply literacy infusion through innovative and academically enriching activities that not only engage students, but also extend their knowledge in new ways and increase academic achievement. Bring your favorite childhood book and be ready to open the doors of literacy to children in your afterschool program."

The Value of Diversity: Tools for Increasing Understanding and Fostering Inclusion
Many libraries are working with increasingly diverse populations.  We often struggle to make sure activities are inclusive for everyone. In this session you will be ".using a developmental model of diversity [to] seek a greater understating of differences in the behaviors and responses of those around us. Second we will explore specific activities and classroom strategies that foster an inclusive environment for children and adults."

Check out the full listing of sessions at: http://tiny.cc/kRoNE

katie.anderson at state.or.us, 503-378-2528