[kids-lib] Performers for Summer 2010

Hicks, Doris doris.hicks at cityofalbany.net
Tue Jan 19 17:13:35 PST 2010

Below is the text from two e-mails I received from puppeteers interested in performing in libraries in Oregon before and after the Northwest Regional Festival of Puppeteers of America, to be held in Seattle July 30-August 1, 2010.  I have not seen either of these performers, so this is just information, not a recommendation.
Doris Hicks
Young Adult Services
Spanish Language Services
541-791-0015
This e-mail is a public record of the City of Albany, and may be subject to public disclosure under Oregon Public Records Law.  This e-mail is subject to the State of Oregon Retention Schedule.

**Karaghiozis Theater

Hello Doris I got your address from Nicolas Hubbard who knows me from the educational world of puppetry..I am interested in performing tours for your libraries and or schools the art of Traditional Greek Shadow Theater also known as Karaghiozis theater. Please take a look at my website and feel free to call me anytime. 5105437510 www.kassapides.com<http://www.kassapides.com>
[mailto:leonidaskass at yahoo.com]<mailto:[mailto:leonidaskass at yahoo.com]>

**Omnipresent Puppet Theater:

I am writing in response to Nick Hubbard's e-mail about possible bookings in libraries around your area.  As I will be at the festival coming up, I thought it might be fun to tour a show up where you are.

My company, Omnipresent Puppet Theater, has been touring in and around the Kern and Fresno County areas in California since 2006, and has a home at the Galight Melodrama Theatre & Music Hall in Bakersfield, where we perform every other month.  We have been hard at work there, growing our reputation as performers, and also building puppets for productions in Arizona and California at other theatres.  I have attached our latest brochure.  You can also visit our website at www.omnipuppets.org<http://www.omnipuppets.org> to see some of our other work and read what people have been saying about us.  I have been a regular performer for the libraries in Kern for their Summer Reading Series, and prepare a new show every year for each theme.

I am a current member of the POA Board of Trustees and have been a professional puppeteer for the past 16 years with various companies.  At the festival in Seattle, other than my board meeting duties, I will be hosting the adult puppet slam and maybe performing in a piece with another attending group.  With Seattle "only" a 16 hour drive from where I am, I can easily pack another show for touring.

I would like to offer "Gumshoe McMonocle and the Strange Case of Rumpelsomething" to your libraries.  It's a version of "Rumpelstiltskin" told as a 1940s detective story complete with bumbling gumshoe and surprise method of turning straw into gold.  It's gotten great response from audiences down here, and Ithink it would make a fun touring show.  I've attached a flyer for the show.

I think I can cover my expenses for $350 per show and would like to book at least six shows for days immediately before and after the festival.  I hope we can work something out.  If you'd like to know any more, feel free to call me at 661-858-0831 or e-mail me at omnipuppets at peoplepc.com<mailto:omnipuppets at peoplepc.com>.

Thanks again.   hope to hear from you.

Don Kruszka
Omnipresent Puppet Theater