[kids-lib] NEW INFO: CSLP Rules of Use

Susan Ludington sludington at cityofsalem.net
Wed Oct 13 10:59:15 PDT 2010

Good morning,
Your CSLP representatives are very pleased to share the following email
from Matt Mulder of Highsmith:

"I continue continue to receive 5-7 calls a day from Oregon libraries
requesting permission to use the artwork on their materials.The original
intent of this particular rule was to allow states to customize items at
a state or large library system level. We certainly don’t want to be an
impediment to each individual library. If you have the ability, I would
urge you to send an email to your libraries letting them know they may
use the artwork to create materials for their program unless they want
to specifically personalize an existing CSLP item, i.e. adding a logo to
the bookmark [offered by Highsmith]."

Upon receiving this email, we asked about minimum quantities and Matt
reiterated:

"Unless someone wants to customize the existing [Highsmith] reading
records, posters or bookmarks, they are free to use the art to create
their own materials."

What this means is that Highsmith is giving Oregon libraries permission
to use CSLP art to create their own paper materials this year! Please
note, though, if you want Upstart to professionally add your logo or
library name/address to a paper item in the Upstart catalog, you will
still need to contact Matt with your personalization request. Remember,
you are allowed to "customize" purchased Highsmith posters and bookmarks
in-house by printing library information on an affixed label or on the
reverse side of an item. The strict Rules of Use do still apply to
Highsmith incentives. For example, you may not use CSLP art to create
your own t-shirt, bag, pencil, etc.

Highsmith and CSLP will need to discuss whether or not this is just an
exception for Oregon this year, if it applies to all CSLP member states,
and whether this is a long or short-term change. Your CSLP
representatives will continue to keep you informed of this.
Thank you all! Your calls to Matt are what made this possible.
Susan Ludington

Teen Services Librarian
Salem Public Library
sludington at cityofsalem.net
503.589.2062

All Oregon public, volunteer, and tribal libraries are members of the
Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP), and receive a free summer
reading manual. To get the most out of your membership, create an
account on the CSLP website (www.cslpreads.org) and you will be able to
access additional summer reading resources. CSLP membership dues and
manual fees are paid for by the State Library with LSTA funds. Summer
reading manuals are distributed by OLA’s Children’s Services Division,
and both CSD and OYAN members represent you on CSLP committees and at
the CSLP annual meeting. For more information contact one of your CSLP
representatives:
Paige Bentley, CSD Summer Reading Chair: paigeb at dpls.lib.or.us
Kendra Jones, CSD In-coming Summer Reading Chair: KendraM at wccls.org
Susan Ludington, OYAN CSLP Liaison: sludington at cityofsalem.net
Katie Anderson, CSLP Oregon State Representative:
katie.anderson at state.or.us