[kids-lib] Fun math games leaflet

Patrick Goodman patrick at jcld.org
Thu Oct 21 10:02:31 PDT 2010

Hello Kids-lib,

   It's easy for us librarians to become so wrapped up in pushing
literacy on parents that we forget how important developing other
educational skills are for children. For instance, math. In 2004, the
US was ranked 24th amongst 41 ranked countries in mathematical ability
(1). By 2007, we were still 24th, but only in comparison to 30
countries this time (2). Last year, we dropped to a dismal 34th out of
39 countries (3).

  Now, last time I was back home, I was totally humbled by my 9 year
old nephew while playing some pretty high level on-line math games.
Unable to understand how a math prodigy came out of a family still
struggling to understand the abacus, I went to the source of my
nephew's awesome numerical skills... his parents. My brother informed
me that at a very early age, he and his wife had been playing lots of
mental math games with their son every time they took a walk, went to
the grocery store, or drove to a little league game.

  So here are some of the best, in beautiful 3-fold leaflet format,
ready to be disseminated to all willing Oregon library patrons. Sorry
for anyone without MS Publisher, but you'll have to acutally cut and
paste your own library's logos onto the PDF file attached to this
e-mail. For those who do, feel free to make any necessary changes
you'd like. And a Spanish version of this will be out by sometime next
week.

(1) http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/06/world/main659331.shtml
(2) http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/04/AR2007120400730.html
(3) http://rankingamerica.wordpress.com/2009/03/24/the-us-ranks-34th-in-math-progress/