[kids-lib] Job Opening: Library Reference Assistant @ Beaverton City Library (Children's)

Victoria Campbell vcampbell at beavertonoregon.gov
Wed Dec 28 13:26:18 PST 2011

LIBRARY REFERENCE ASSISTANT
BEAVERTON CITY LIBRARY
20 hours per week

SALARY RANGE:              $16.72 - $22.40 per hour

CLOSING DATE:                January 11, 2012

Please see supplemental questions below.

ABOUT THE JOB:   Beaverton City Library is seeking a half-time Reference Assistant to join our team.  We are looking for an energetic, curious person with a strong interest in public library services to work with our current staff serving children, teens, and their families.  This position will be required to work evening and weekend hours.

ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:  Perform quick reference and readers advisory duties at the children's and young adult reference desks included but not limited to:

?         Providing quick and accurate answers to patron's reference, readers advisory and referral questions using appropriate reference techniques;
?         Assisting patrons in use of library materials, library computers (including the Internet), electronic media and databases;
?         Referring more complex and difficult questions to librarians in a professional manner;
?         Providing children's storytimes and other programs for children and their caregivers.

TO QUALIFY:  Requires a Bachelor's degree and two years experience in a library setting in reference or related services including automated reference experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.  Students currently working toward a MLS are welcome to apply.  Preference may be given to bi-lingual applicants (Spanish-English).

HOW TO APPLY:  All interested candidates may submit a City of Beaverton application form to the Human Resources Department, Beaverton City Hall, 4755 SW Griffith Drive, Beaverton, OR  97005.  Applications may be completed on our website at www.beavertonoregon.gov<http://www.beavertonoregon.gov>.  Closing Date:   January 11, 2012.

SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS:

 1.  Please provide a short summary of your qualifications working with children and parents in a library setting, including any storytime experience.
 2.  Please provide an outline for a family storytime.

PUBLIC RECORDS LAW DISCLOSURE

This e-mail is a public record of the City of Beaverton and is subject to public disclosure unless exempt from disclosure under Oregon Public Records Law.  This email is subject to the State Retention Schedule.