[kids-lib] New resource for learning about kids' books for K-6th Grades!

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Sep 9 08:37:42 PDT 2011

Looking for books that support school curriculum and great read-alouds for K-6th Grade?

Sadly, these books are becoming even more important for us as public librarians to keep-up with as teacher-librarians are being cut statewide. Check out Oregon teacher-librarian Kathy Otto's blog Teaching With Kids' Books<http://www.teachingkidsbooks.com/>.

The thing I appreciate most about Kathy's blog is that she provides brief, clear information about how each title can be used in classrooms/what specific area of the curriculum they support by grade level. Here is the intro from her blog to give a better idea of what you'll find:
Connecting K-6 Teachers With Great Books http://www.teachingkidsbooks.com/

My goal is to create a resource for teachers, home schoolers and anyone interested in quality books for children. Each title is one I have carefully evaluated and selected to support curriculum as well as your class read-alouds. Elementary school librarians are losing their jobs nationwide resulting in the loss of this valuable resource for students and teachers. I have 35 years experience working with kids and their books, so you can consider me your personal librarian!

New categories and titles will be added weekly. You can submit comments, suggestions and curricular areas for which you need resources. Share books that you have had success with.