[kids-lib] Governor Kitzhaber Proclaims October Information Literacy Month in Oregon

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Wed Jul 18 15:34:38 PDT 2012

This October will officially be Information Literacy Month in Oregon. Since this is new, please considering sharing your ideas about how you plan to promote it at your library via this email discussion list. An OLA Hotline article about the proclamation suggests a ideas to get your gears turning:

Governor Kitzhaber Proclaims October Information Literacy Month in Oregon!<http://olahotline.wordpress.com/2012/07/15/july-15-2012-vol-18-no-14-happenings/>
It is my pleasure to announce that on June 26th, 2012, Governor Kitzhaber proclaimed October to be Information Literacy month in Oregon. In addition to wide support from the library community, this initiative also enjoys the support of writing and English instructors.

The National Forum on Information Literacy is leading an effort to encourage all states and U.S. territories to submit requests to their governors’ offices to proclaim October as Information Literacy Month.<http://infolit.org/2012-information-literacy-campaign/>  With a signed proclamation in hand, Oregon is ahead of many other states in the IL proclamation initiative. Thank you to all who worked on drafting and endorsing the proclamation, and in particular State Librarian MaryKay Dahlgreen for coordinating the effort and shepherding the request through to the Governor’s office.

In anticipation of outreach in and around October, the OLA Library Development and Legislative Committee (LDLC) is encouraging Oregon libraries of all types to gather patron stories of what the library means to them. Personal stories are a powerful way to describe our work to library stakeholders, especially when combined with evidence-based data reflecting our service. The LDLC is also encouraging libraries to send stakeholders targeted invitations to visit the library for a first-hand look at the dynamic role libraries play in our communities. Let’s gather our data, collect the stories and use them in October to celebrate our first statewide Information Literacy Month. Watch the libs-or list and visit the LDLC webpage<http://www.olaweb.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=199> for updates.

-Michele Burke, OLA Vice-President/President-Elect

If they hyperlink doesn't work, try this URL: http://olahotline.wordpress.com/2012/07/15/july-15-2012-vol-18-no-14-happenings/

[http://oasl.memberclicks.net/message/image/48d4c5ae-cb36-4975-99cb-bc857ee4f79c]