[kids-lib] Native American Children's books

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Mar 6 11:32:49 PST 2012

Hello! I just learned about a new book digitization project that may be of interest to those of you looking for Native American Children's books. The University of New Mexico created a Digitized Native American children's book database which is available online at: http://econtent.unm.edu/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=%2Fchildren. Obviously these aren't tangible books that children and families can check out from your library and take home, but they may fulfill some students/patrons needs.
For tangible, print books that represent the Native American culture appropriately, please remember the American Indians in Children's Literature blog (http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/2012/03/cradle-me-by-debbie-slier.html) is a great resources for materials selection.
As always, be sure to use your library's selection/collection development policy when determining whether or not to purchase any materials for your library.
Enjoy,
Katie Anderson