[kids-lib] In the News: Are Summer Reading Programs Also Irrelevant?

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Thu May 31 12:08:36 PDT 2012

Here is an interesting blog post to get your mind (and perhaps your heart rate) moving!

Are Summer Reading Programs Also Irrelevant?

http://21stcenturylibrary.com/2012/05/30/are-summer-reading-programs-also-irrelevant/
While we all can rattle off research, statistics, and personal anecdotes about why library summer reading programs are important, the author poses some very important questions about keeping SRP relevant.

Here are a few more/related questions that popped to my mind:

*         Is SRP the 'sacred cow' at the library or is it planned and evaluated the same way other library programs are?

*         What are the outcomes we want SRP participants to achieve by the end of the summer and how does each SRP activity, event and resource help participants achieve the outcomes?

*         How do we evaluate the effectiveness of the SRP and then use the evaluation results to plan the next SRP?

*         How are we partnering with local schools so that the SRP is an effective bridge each summer?

*         How often do we makes changes to the SRP to account for changing trends, advances in technology, and shifting demographics in our communities?

*         When was the last time we reviewed and updated how prizes are used to attract and retain SRP participants?

Thoughts? Ideas? Examples to share?

Katie