[kids-lib] Kids-lib questions

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Sep 11 09:10:54 PDT 2012

Hi Kathy! I hope things are getting off to a good start at school.

What is your work email address and I'll get you all set up on kids-lib?

*         If you want to know the mechanics of posting to kids-lib, just draft an email as usual that contains your question and address the email to kids-lib at listsmart.osl.state.or.us<mailto:kids-lib at listsmart.osl.state.or.us>.

*         If you want to know the etiquette of posting to kids-lib...

I found this on the King County Bar Association's website<http://www.kcba.org/membership/listserv.aspx#.UE9f85bDBBk> and think it covers everything really well:
The Rules

  *   Do not "flame," challenge or attack others. The discussions on the lists are meant to stimulate conversation, not to create contention. Flaming includes the making of derogatory comments, ridicule, excessive sarcasm and innuendo. Let others have their say, just as you have yours.
  *   Use caution when discussing items. Information posted on the lists is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
  *   Do not post commercial messages on any listserv. Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them.
  *   All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials or language are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything in a listserv message that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
  *   Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted to the list.
  *   Remember that... other e-mail list participants have the right to reproduce postings to this listserv.
  *   Do not distribute any SPAM, solicitation, jokes, chain letters, petitions for signatures or letters relating to pyramid schemes, missing persons or once-in-a-lifetime deals.
  *   Do not use the listserv to invite the entire list to join your social network (Facebook, Myspace, Linkedin, etc). You may invite individuals to join your network but may not invite the entire list.
Listserv Etiquette

  *   Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation, location, and e-mail address.
  *   State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
  *   Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire list. Do this by using your e-mail application's forwarding option and typing in or cutting and pasting in the e-mail address of the individual to whom you want to respond.
  *   Do not send administrative messages, such as "remove me from the list", through the listserv. To unsubscribe from the list, follow the directions at the bottom of the listserv email message.
I would add... When replying to another listserv member's post use "reply" to respond directly/ individually to them unless it is a discussion in which multiple listserv members are participating, then hit "reply all" so everyone can hear and respond to your feedback/input/opinion.
If this is not what you had in mind, let me know more about what you need to know.

Thanks, Katie