[kids-lib] In the News: reading comprehension

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Tue Feb 5 11:31:26 PST 2013

Hello! I usually like to read articles thoroughly and share the most poignant tidbits in the body of the email to help you save time, but the focus of this month's Reading Rocket newsletter is reading comprehension. Most of the articles will focus on this topic and I know many of you are starting to delve into figuring what comes next after early literacy. How do kids actually learn to read? How do teacher teach reading comprehension? How can libraries support learning to read too?

Hopefully this newsletter will have one or more articles that will help you in your quest!

If this topic is of interest to you, I also highly recommend you look at Barbara Steinberg's 2012 OLA Conference session materials on this topic. They are available online at Northwest Central: http://www.nwcentral.org/becoming-thinkers-helping-young-readers-dig-deeper