[kids-lib] Something to Think About: Collection development and partnerships

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Jan 25 08:39:17 PST 2013

There is a wonderful conversation on the Association for Rural & Small Libraries email discussion list about how communities and patrons actively help libraries with collection development. The Portneuf District Library responded with "Much nonfiction selection is linked to the curriculum of the local schools... The Children's Librarian sits on the school curriculum committee."

While this may be impossible for some communities, it is something to think about. Are library staff on any of the school or education related committees? How are we engaging schools at a higher level to develop collections that support students academically? How are we going beyond just supporting a couple school projects per year--such as the animal reports and biography book report? How are we promoting to students, parents, and teachers that our collections support school curriculum and we can help guide students through the research process?