[kids-lib] FREE online professional development opportunities

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon Nov 4 13:33:13 PST 2013

These FREE online professional development opportunities are relate specifically to library youth services.

November 4 (12-1 pm) / Jeff Kinney (Diary of a Wimpy Kid) Live From Las Vegas! (School Library Journal)

Greg Heffley's on a losing streak. His best friend, Rowley Jefferson, has ditched him, and finding new friends in middle school is proving to be a tough task. To change his fortunes, Greg decides to take a leap of faith and turn his decisions over to chance. Will a roll of the dice turn things around, or is Greg's life destined to be just another hard-luck story? Jeff Kinney tells all about Greg's leaving it to chance in this one hour live-streaming event, and will answer your questions live!

November 5 (9-10 am) / Bringing up Baby: Community Baby Showers (Washington State Library)

Sarah Johnson and Charity Cree, Mid Columbia Regional Library, will be sharing easy and inexpensive ways to connect with new parents through collaboration with community partners. New parents will come away with important information regarding their children and the library has the opportunity to introduce them to library services for the entire family.

November 12 (11am-12 pm) / Teen Services Amplified! with Everyday Advocacy (YALSA)

Investing in teen services isn't just good for teens; it's good for libraries and for communities. But sometimes we don't know how to get started making the case for teen services, or we're not sure what we can do. Fortunately, we're not alone-we have each other and we have resources like YALSA's Advocacy Toolkit to help us amplify our message.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://www.ala.org/yalsa/teen-services-amplified-everyday-advocacy

November 14 (6:00-7:00p) / Monthly Twitter Chat (ALSC)
Join ALA's Association for Library Services to Children (ALSC) members and anyone interested in participating in a monthly Twitter chat. Timely professional topics will be discussed for one hour on the second Thursday of every month at 9pm EST. You can follow the chat by using the hashtag #alscchat. The event will be moderated by the ALSC Children & Technology Committee. This event is free and open to anyone using Twitter. You can find ALSC tweeting at @alscblog<http://www.twitter.com/alscblog>.

November 19 (11am-12 pm) / YA Announcements: Warming Up with Reading (Booklist)

It may be cooling down but these YA publishers are heating up! Join us for this free, hour-long webinar where representatives from Blink, Lerner Publishing Group, and Open Road Media will share their new teen titles perfect for hibernating with this winter and on into next year. Booklist's Books for Youth associate editor Ann Kelley moderates.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://www.booklistonline.com/GeneralInfo.aspx?id=63

November 19 (12-1 pm) / Early Literacy Apps, iPads, and Tablets in the Children's Department (Texas State Library & Archives Commission)

The third webinar in our three-part series Early Literacy In Your Library, this session will introduce the basics of using iPads preloaded with early literacy apps in the children's department, at storytime, and for checkout. Today's children are growing up surrounded by technology and using tablets comes naturally to them. Librarians can introduce apps and digital books in a developmentally appropriate manner that supports early literacy development. This webinar will assist libraries in implementing the 10 Key Ways that libraries can improve early learning outcomes, especially "Linking new digital technologies to learning."

For more information and to register for this program, visit: https://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ld/workshops/webinars/index.html

These FREE online professional development opportunities relate to youth services, but are not specific to them.

November 4 (5-6 pm) / Level Up Your Blog - Taking Your Blog to the Next Level! (Teacher Librarian Virtual Cafe)

Does your blog need an epic win? How to add extra pages, engage guest bloggers, & how to make your blog your triumphant one stop shop and main web presence.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://tlvirtualcafe.wikispaces.com/#Webinars%20/%20Events

November 5 (11am-12 pm) / Show Your Work: Narrating work as knowledge management (InSync Training)

As training practitioners we spend a great deal of time talking about how people learn and how to help people learn and how to use that learning to help organizations improve. But "learning" often looks like doing, and talking with others about what we're doing. This is frequently how we learn and how we help others learn. In this session we'll look at what to narrate as well as how and when. The bottom line? To improve workplace learning and knowledge management we need to stop saying, "Tell me what you do" and start asking, "Please show me how you did that?"

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://us.insynctraining.com/bozarth-programs/

November 6 (11am-12 pm) / How to Approach a Foundation (GrantSpace)

>From initial contact to getting funded, following field-tested best practices will increase your chances of getting the grant. This class will teach you how to: Initiate contact with potential funders, Plan calls and meetings, including site visits, and Effectively communicate with funders during the grant process.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://grantspace.org/Classroom/Training-Calendar/Live-Webinars/

November 14 (11am-12 pm) / Tablets and Mobile Applications (American Libraries Live)

Now that personal electronic devices like tablets, smart phones and digital cameras are ubiquitous, it's important for librarians to be able to incorporate these devices into both library services and internal staff activity. On the next episode of American Libraries Live, Heather Moorefield-Lang, Education and Applied Social Sciences Librarian for Virginia Tech, will lead an expert panel in a discussion on the present and future of tablets.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://americanlibrarieslive.org/

November 15 (8-9 am) / Tech Tools with Tine: 1 Hour of MS Word Flyers and Mailings (Texas State Library & Archives Commission)

In our popular Tech Tools with Tine series, veteran trainer Tine Walczyk typically tackles a single innovative tool.  In this Webinar, however, she's taking on creative uses for MS Word - how to make flyers and mailings.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: https://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ld/workshops/webinars/index.html

November 22 (8-9 am) / Tech Tools with Tine: 1 Hour of eBooks and Audio Books (Texas State Library & Archives Commission)

In the Tech Tools with Tine series, Tine Walczyk puts her focus on different technology tools.  In this Webinar, Tine's covering ebooks and audio books.