[kids-lib] New books available to ILL from State Library: storytime and fundamentals of children's services

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Wed Oct 9 11:20:42 PDT 2013

The following new titles are available for interlibrary loan from the Oregon State Library. If you would like to request these or other materials from the Oregon State Library please use your library's established interlibrary loan process or send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us<mailto:library.request at state.or.us> or (fax) 503-588-7119.  Items will be checked out to your library, not to you personally, for 4 weeks (print materials) or 2 weeks (videos).  Materials will be delivered via mail or Orbis Cascade Alliance Courier, and you may return them the same way.  Normally a single copy is purchases and it is loaned on a first-come-first-serve basis. You may be put on a hold list for several weeks.  Thank you for your patience.

[http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-J4Jxn3HipZo/UlWW6JbiLnI/AAAAAAAAAQY/djkIjhKhbGU/s1600/diamantCohenTPS300.jpg]<http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-J4Jxn3HipZo/UlWW6JbiLnI/AAAAAAAAAQY/djkIjhKhbGU/s1600/diamantCohenTPS300.jpg>
Diamant-Cohen, B. & Hetrick, M.A. (2013). Transforming Preschool Storytime: A Modern Vision and a Year of Programs. Chicago, IL: Neal-Schuman.

*Betsy and Melanie (from our very own Tillamook County Library!) provide excellent and brief overviews of the school readiness domains, life skills, early brain development related to young children's need to repeat things, Piaget's constructivism learning theory explaining how children learn through their experiences, Vygotsky theory of scaffolded learning explaining how to build on learning by providing experiences at the appropriate level for each child,Gardner's theory that there are multiple ways (or intelligences) people learn, and Every Child Ready to Read's five early literacy practices. ALL of these things are reviewed in 10 just pages--extremely well worth the 15 minutes or so it would take to read them. (Katie's review)

According to recent research, the best way to make new connections in a child's brain is by building on something already known. A child who loves a book will listen to it repeatedly, maintaining interest. Using a selected book in a number of consecutive preschool storytimes, but presenting it differently each time, can help children learn new skill sets. This book presents a new approach to storytime, one that employs repetition with variety to create an experience which helps children connect and engage with the story on a higher level. Diamant-Cohen, recently awarded the 2013 ASCLA Leadership and Professional Achievement Award, and Hetrick offer a year's worth of activities specifically designed to address multiple intelligences through a repetition-based process. Incorporating recent theories on developmental learning, this book includes

  *   Scripts for 8 different books, with enough activities to repeat each one for six weeks, along with lists of optional alternative books
  *   Planning aids such as outlines of storytime sessions, a fill-in-the-blanks planning sheet, questions for evaluation, and tips for enhanced storytimes using props and crafts
  *   Detailed but straightforward explanations of theory and research that will help readers communicate effectively with parents, caregivers, and other stakeholders
>From setup to execution, here's everything you need to create and implement a successful, elevated storytime.

[http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pKAqXG68GzU/UlWW6CjpjJI/AAAAAAAAAQg/AwShR9-IMeI/s1600/sullivanCS_300.jpg]<http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pKAqXG68GzU/UlWW6CjpjJI/AAAAAAAAAQg/AwShR9-IMeI/s1600/sullivanCS_300.jpg>
Sullivan, M. (2013). Fundamentals of Children's Services, 2nd Ed. Chicago, IL: American Library Association.

Children's services are the heart of the library; in fact, more than one-third of U.S. library users are under the age of 12. Sullivan has updated and expanded his comprehensive reference, covering both innovative and standard practices in children's services. Fundamentals such as collection development and management, programming, homework support, and reference and readers' advisory are all thoroughly updated. In response to pervasive changes in the field, he also

  *   Offers an expansive view of what it means to ensure that children are well-served in light of ongoing budgetary challenges
  *   Shows how to collaborate effectively with parents, teachers, and administrators, and how to cooperate with schools
  *   Gives techniques for using tools such as social media for marketing, outreach, and advocacy
  *   Addresses the subject of children and e-books
  *   Helps readers understand the importance of new cataloging trends, such as RDA: Resource Description and Access and RFID, and reference work in the digital age
Those studying to become children's librarians, experienced and new children's librarians, library administrators, and trustees alike will find Sullivan's book a definitive guide to the fundamentals of children's services.

(book description)

Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog (http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/) to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection and search our catalog (http://oregon.gov/OSL/index.shtml) for our complete holdings. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community.  The Library Development Division welcomes your suggestions for acquisitions - see the blog for an input form or email us!

This collection is funded with LSTA funds administered by the Oregon State Library.

[cid:image005.png at 01CEC4E1.93F13FB0]
Pick up your 2014 summer reading manual<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/youthsvcs/oregon.srp.certificate.aspx#Summer_Reading_Manuals_> and get science programming training at
OLA's Children's Services Division's fall workshop<https://ola.memberclicks.net/index.php?option=com_mc&view=mc&mcid=form_149058>
Saturday, October 19, 2013 at Tigard Public Library