[kids-lib] Parenting Book Bag

Karen Fischer kfischer at cityofsalem.net
Mon Jul 14 09:57:50 PDT 2014

Our Toddler, Preschool and Early Literacy totes fill this niche for Salem Public Library - we have approx 100 different themes.  The toddler and preschool totes are very popular (also only check out one week and no holds).  We also have Story time totes for preschools and child care providers.  Cons are: checking tote contents and following up on missing items is staff intensive and they are expensive for patrons to replace if lost.   Hope this helps,
Karen

Karen Fischer,
Youth Services Manager
Salem Public Library
503-588-6039
kfischer at cityofsalem.net
>>> CARRIE KASPERICK <ckasperick at ci.monmouth.or.us> 7/14/2014 9:09 AM >>>
Hi Jana,
We had theme bags at the last library I worked for, and they were great! Most circulated really well, but we had to keep an eye on the condition of bags, create laminated tags with the title list, make sure they're all returned, etc. We had our bags on a circular rack in the Easy Fiction area though, not the parenting section. I can appreciate the ease of parents grabbing a bag, especially if they are related more to themes that parent will want to discuss with their kids. Some of the themes we had include:

I Feel Sick
To The Moon
New Baby
Dinosaurs