[kids-lib] Program with Reading Assistance Dogs

CARRIE KASPERICK ckasperick at ci.monmouth.or.us
Wed Mar 26 09:08:53 PDT 2014

Hi Karl,
We had "Paws to Read" at my previous library in Colorado. We had a
partnership with a therapy dog group who brought the dogs for the program
as well as to hospitals for therapy. What is nice about partnering with an
established group like this is that they are insured and the dogs are
trained to be gentle. I'd be mindful of these issues when you are
developing your program. Paws to Read met once a month on a  Monday
evening, and we set up appointments in advance. The program started out
with great success and then dwindled to a couple families showing up
consistently. Eventually we had to scale back the number of dogs and then
cancel the program. It was a lot to ask of the dog owners when we were
having no-shows. I think something like this would work really well in the
summertime and may go great year-round as well. You never know until you
try, and I'd encourage you to do it. Best of luck in this and in your new
job! I'm sure we'll be meeting you soon!
Carrie Kasperick
Monmouth Public Library
503-751-0182

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Kimbre Chapman <kimbrec at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi  Karl,
>
> When I was the Children's Librarian at a public library near Boise, we
> tried a Read-to-Dog program. There had been a program prior to my time
> there and there were problems with scheduling children to show up at the
> time the service dog was there.  The appointments were made but the
> children didn't show. A few other libraries I knew of had similar
> problems. I tried a different approach with a kindly man and his really
> sweet dog, but he came to us rather than having to find him. The pair came
> in for informal Saturday sessions, once a month and then later for special
> programs. He would read to the children and they would read short passages
> to each other.  I'd pick out books of varying levels, but always high
> interest. It was informal, low key and had no sign up.  A big draw was the
> dog, who was beautiful, great with kids and an unusual breed. At the end of
> the reading, dog bone cookies would be served.  Games were added to the
> reading and homemade cookies when later we started doing special holiday
> parties with the dog. I thinks this works in a small library.  Another
> program that worked was coordinating with one of the local schools that had
> a number of stuggling readers. The dog and her trainer went to the school
> for about an hour once a week during the children's time in the school's
> library.  The children would read to the dog, which worked pretty well
> too. To connect this with the library, I'd visit once a month with a puppet
> or two, along with some brand new picture books.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Kimbre Chapman
> Children's Services Supervisor
> McMinnville Public Library