[kids-lib] Add your library's STEM programming to a statewide STEM database and report to lawmakers

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Thu Oct 23 13:09:06 PDT 2014

Hi! OregonASK is working with the Afterschool Alliance to create a database for STEM out-of-school programs for K-12th graders and a report on STEM programs to lawmakers. If you want your library's STEM program(s) to be included in the STEM database and report to lawmakers, then decide amongst your co-workers which one person from your library will provide the information about your STEM program(s).

That one person should submit information about your library's STEM programming by taking this survey<https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/oregonstemsurvey> by November 3, 2014. Detailed information about the survey is below and answers to frequently asked questions are attached. Questions about the survey should be directed to Katie Lakey, stemsurvey at oregonask.org<mailto:stemsurvey at oregonask.org>, 971-282-5325.

Thanks,
Katie

URL incase the hyperlink to the survey doesn't work: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/oregonstemsurve

Katie Anderson, Library Support and Development Services

[StoryTime_GrandeRonde.png]<http://storytimeoregon.com/community-partners/partner-downloads/>
Become a StORytime<http://storytimeoregon.com/community-partners/become-a-partner/> partner!

Hello,

My name is Katie Lakey, and I am an AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteer in Service to America) working with Beth Unverzagt and Oregon Afterschool for Kids (OregonASK). If you are not familiar with us, we are a collaboration of public and private organizations that advocate for afterschool programs and professionals in the state of Oregon. There is more information on us, and our partners the Afterschool Alliance, at the end of this email if you would like to know more.

OregonASK, in partnership with the Afterschool Alliance, is conducting a statewide survey of out-of-school time programs that offer science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) opportunities to school and college-aged students. Currently, there is no comprehensive database of out-of-school time STEM programs in Oregon, which makes it difficult to assess where programs are located, what resources they might need, and where the demand for more STEM programs is the greatest.

With this survey, we hope to create such a database and use the information to better support STEM in out-of-school-time. Data from this survey will be used to create a report that will be shared with lawmakers in order to promote legislation and funding to support out-of-school STEM programs.

We greatly appreciate you taking a few minutes to help us in this endeavor. If you are a program director or manager, please complete the survey by following https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/oregonstemsurvey. We have also attached to this email a short informational sheet about the survey and a list of FAQs. Please read through these, and if you have other questions, feel free to contact Katie Lakey at stemsurvey at oregonask.org<mailto:stemsurvey at oregonask.org> or 971-282-5325. We will be collecting data through November, so you may see this email from us more than once. We don't want to pester you, but we do want to be thorough and collect the best possible data to use with lawmakers.

If you are not a program director or site manager, you can still help! Please pass this email (with the attachments) along to any out-of-school programs you might know and ask them to complete the survey. We are casting a broad net and trying to collect information on as many programs as possible. The more comprehensive our data is, the better we will be able to advocate with lawmakers on the behalf of out-of-school time STEM programs.

Once more, here is the link to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/oregonstemsurvey

Thank you so much for your time and support!

Katie Lakey
stemsurvey at oregonask.org<mailto:stemsurvey at oregonask.org>
971-282-5325

More information about OregonASK and the Afterschool Alliance:

The mission of OregoASK is to support, expand, and advocate for quality out-of-school time programs and activities for children, youth, and families throughout Oregon. We are part of the National Afterschool Network - a 47 state initiative, which seeks to improve the quality and fiscal sustainability of afterschool and summer programs across the country. A key partner of ours is the Afterschool Alliance, the national advocacy organization for afterschool and summer programs. They work with the Federal Administration, the U.S. Congress, governors, mayors and advocate across the country to support afterschool and summer programs like yours. If you would like more information on OregonASK or the Afterschool Alliance, you can visit our websites at www.oregonask.org<http://www.oregonask.org> and www.afterschoolalliance.org. <http://www.afterschoolalliance.org/>