[kids-lib] Email or call your Legislators!

Korie Jones Buerkle korie.buerkle at newbergoregon.gov
Tue Apr 28 16:08:39 PDT 2015

Hello Oregon Library Community!
That's right, OLA's 2015 Legislative Day is tomorrow! Can't make it to visit Salem? Call or Email your legislators and let them know what we care about<https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/FindYourLegislator/leg-districts.html>.

The talking points and issue briefs posted to the Library Development and Legislation Committee's web page<http://www.olaweb.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=199> are available for you to help frame your conversation.

Below are some email templates you could consider using if you'd like to email your legislators.

TEMPLATE for State Representative

Dear Representative ________,
My name is ______ and as one of your constituents and as a member of the Oregon Library Association and as a librarian at __________________ I am asking for your support of libraries.

There are three bills to which we'd like to call your attention: HB 2479, Reading for Success; HB 2650, Summer Lunch, Learn, Libraries; and HB 3523, Reorganizing the State Library's Mission and Governance.

HB 2479: Reading for Success
This bill:

  *   Changes the names of Ready to Read to Reading for Success;
  *   Expands the ages covered from 0-14 to 0-17;
  *   Increases the minimum grant size to $1200 from $1000.
  *   Includes funding for the increases - $140,000 for the biennium.

The current Ready to Read Grant program is proven successful, with over 200,000 children participating in Summer Reading Programs in 2014 and with increased program attendance. In 2014, 21,000,000 items were checked out by participating children! Last year all 131 eligible public libraries applied for and received grants.

This year we are asking for your support to:

  *   Increase funding to $1 per child. In 2014 funding was at $0.94 per child.

HB 2650: Summer Lunch, Learn, Libraries

Although I support the concept of integrating summer reading programs at schools with summer lunch programs as introduced by this bill, it needs more work. Summer reading helps stave off student achievement losses over summer.
I am asking you to consider:

  *   Summer school-based programs should have certified librarians to guide children in their use of school library materials; and
  *   Other models exist for partnering summer reading with summer lunch programs.

HB 3523: Reorganizing the State Library's Mission and Governance

This bill incorporates some of the recommendations formulated by the working group, convened in 2011, to describe how the State Library, State Law Library, and State Archives could collaborate more effectively.

I support the bill as amended. The bill:

  *   Provides for OLA (Oregon Library Association) involvement in recommending board members;
  *   Acknowledges that collaboration is critical among the State Library, the State Law Library, and State Archives, as each has unique resources and services; and
  *   Maintains the core mission of the State Library while addressing contemporary needs.

Thank you for your time and your support of Oregon's libraries.

Regards,

YOUR NAME HERE

Template for State Senators

Dear Senator________,
My name is ______ and as one of your constituents and as a member of the Oregon Library Association and a Librarian at _______________ I am asking for your support of libraries.

There are two bills to which we'd like to draw your attention: SB 5519, Relating to the financial administration of the State Library; and SB 84, Standards for Accelerated College Credit Programs for High School Students.

SB 5519: Relating to the financial administration of the State Library

This bill is the State Library's budget that includes the Ready to Read Program. The current Ready to Read Grant program is proven successful, with over 200,000 children participating in Summer Reading Programs in 2014 and with increased program attendance. In 2014, 21,000,000 items were checked out by participating children! Last year all 131 eligible public libraries applied for and received grants.

This year we are asking for your support to:

  *   Increase funding to $1 per child. In 2014 funding was at $0.94 per child.

SB 84: Standards for Accelerated College Credit Programs for High School Students

Although this bill will not move forward this session, please know that OLA supports adding a standard that requires every high school with students enrolled in an accelerated college credit program to maintain a school library staffed with a certified teacher librarian and providing access to relevant and adequate information resources.

We support this because:

  *   High school students taking college credit need to use more sophisticated information resources.
  *   School libraries with certified teacher librarians are key to students' educational successes.
  *   Oregon's K-12 schools have lost many of their teacher librarians over the past 20 years.

Thank you for your time and your support of Oregon's libraries.

Regards,

YOUR NAME HERE

Technical questions? Call 503-378-8800<tel:503-378-8800>.