[kids-lib] Harvard's Usable Knowledge Webinars: Developing Youth Language Skills

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Wed Jun 17 12:06:14 PDT 2015

>From the National Center for Literacy Education's newsletter, NCLE SmartBrief, I learned about the Harvard Graduate School of Education's Usable Knowledge webinar series. I thought some of you might be interested in the June 24th offering called Learning to Talk by Talking: A Developmental Approach to Maximizing Language and Literacy Skills. It costs $25 to register, and the webinar runs from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm Pacific.
When it comes to helping children develop robust language skills, talking is essential. Equally important, however, is responding. Join us is Catherine Snow, one of the world's leading experts on language and literacy, provides perspective on the developmental approach to learning language from birth to the teen years.
This live, 90-minute webinar - designed for educators, parents, or members of literacy organizations - will include periods of lecture and interaction, with participants having the opportunity to pose questions to Professor Snow.
What You Will Learn
*         How very young children learn to talk and the role adults can play
*         Understand the importance of stimulating talk in preschool and answering children's questions
*         Discover the power of discussion and debate to promote effective reading and writing for middle and high school students
http://www.gse.harvard.edu/ppe/program/learning-talk-talking
http://www.gse.harvard.edu/ppe/usable-knowledge-webinars
http://www.gse.harvard.edu/uk/about
http://www2.smartbrief.com/ncle/index.jsp