[kids-lib] Unofficial OBOB questions for you to use

Korie Jones Buerkle korie.buerkle at newbergoregon.gov
Tue May 12 09:59:06 PDT 2015

Hello fellow Children's Services staff!

As you may know, Oregon Battle of the Books is gaining momentum across the state. I know that many of you host OBOB programs (Cedar Mill is awesome and very helpful!) or support it in different ways, but I also know many of you are not able to make the time to read the books and write mock battle questions.

So I've got a deal for you. This year the Newberg Public Library has committed to doing a Grades 3-5 district wide mock battle for our schools. Since we will be writing 7 (maybe 10) sets of UNOFFICIAL questions, to official standards,  we would also like to share those questions with you. These questions will not be available online anywhere until after 1/30/16.

We will have questions ready for you by December 1st. You can use them to program with at your library in whatever way works for you with one exception: please do not put them online. After our district mock battles on January 30th they will be available on our website. I'll send out an email when they are available.

OBOB programming received a fantastic reception at our public library this year. OBOB Elementary participation statewide has gone from 315 schools in 2012-2013 to 423 in 2014-2015. Middle School participation has increased from 207 in 2012-2013 to 303 in 2014-2015, and High School participation in 2012-2013 was 56, increasing to 126 in 2014-2015. What a great time for public libraries to get more involved supporting this program!

If you are interested please email me at korie.buerkle at newbergoregon.gov and I'll put you on my list.

If you want to know more about OBOB you can visit the wiki at http://oboblsta.pbworks.com/w/page/5653620/FrontPage or you can give me a call. In April I moderated at Regionals and State, and this year I'm writing official questions for two books, and serving on the OBOB statewide committee.

Happy OBOBing,
Korie (with lots of help from Mary Lynn Thomas and Amanda Lamb)

Korie Jones Buerkle
Children's Librarian | Assistant Library Director
Children's Desk: 503 537 0304 | Office: 503 554 7734
Newberg Public Library
Please note: My work week is Tues.-Sat.