[kids-lib] Mock Pura Belpré Award

Martín Blasco MartinB at wccls.org
Wed Sep 23 16:01:46 PDT 2015

¡Hola a tod at s!

On Saturday, December 12 from 10 to 4, CSD is launching for the first time the Mock Pura Belpré Award. The event is going to take place at Hillsboro Public Library – Main (Board Room), 2850 NE Brookwood Pkwy, Hillsboro, OR 97124.
Next week I’ll be sending the agenda and the list of books to be considered for the award, so you have the time to review them and get them and, thus, we can discuss them during the program.
The following is the bio of Beth Patin, the presenter for the first part of the program, and the theme for the presentation:

Beth Patin is currently a PhD Candidate at the University of Washington’s Information School. Beth graduated from Loyola University New Orleans in 1999 with a B.S. in Education. She taught in the New Orleans Public Schools prior to pursuing a master’s degree in Library and Information Science at Louisiana State University. Beth’s research agenda focuses on the equity of information in two research streams: crisis informatics and building cultural competency through multicultural resources for youth. Both research areas are a product of personal experiences and the complicated questions rising from them. After becoming a teacher-librarian, her library was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina inspiring her to think about libraries and the roles they can play in disasters and the many different information problems arising in crisis contexts. In 2007, Beth was named an American Library Association Emerging Leader. Currently, she is a member of the Advisory Board on the Laura Bush Foundation for America’s Libraries.

Title/Theme of presentation (this might change a bit as [Beth] work[s] on it for the next couple of months...)
Moving beyond Heroes and Holidays: Location, Selection, and Program Development using Multicultural Resources for Youth
This presentation will introduce the concept of cultural competence and argue why this is a valuable skill for librarians. Next, this presentation demonstrate four ways to incorporate multicultural programming in your library. Then, we will discuss resources for locating resources for youth, with a strong focus on materials for Spanish-speaking communities. Finally, we will end with a couple of activities librarians can recreate in their libraries.

I’ve also attached the criteria for the award.
Thank you so much.
Best,

Martín

Martín Blasco
Outreach Librarian for Latino and Youth Services Program
Washington County Cooperative Library Services | 503-681-5093
martinb at wccls.org<mailto:martinb at wccls.org> | facebook.org/bibliotecaswccls<http://www.facebook.org/bibliotecaswccls>

“[¿Y cómo te gustaría que te recordaran?] Como alguien que quería dar alegría a los demás, aunque no le saliera siempre.”
“[And, how would you like to be remembered?] Like somebody who wanted to give joy to others, even if I couldn’t do it all the time.”
María Elena Walsh (Argentine poet, novelist, musician, playwright, writer and composer, mainly known for her songs and books for children).