[kids-lib] PokemonGo and copyright

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon Aug 1 08:38:04 PDT 2016

My counter-part at the Texas State Library was asked a question about Pokemon and I think many of you will be interested in what she learned in researching the answer (read the following email). A couple things stand out to me:

*         It's important to evaluate to determine if your use of copyrighted materials fall under the fair use clause. ALA has information about and links to a couple fair use evaluation tools<http://www.ala.org/advocacy/copyright-tools> you can use to do this.

*         While this technology isn't necessarily new, its mass popularity and use is new. Therefore, it will likely bring up new challenges so it's important we communicate with each other about how to address those challenges. "Augmented reality apps [like PokemonGo] are a quintessential example of disruptive technology. Their impact will extend beyond the digital world and affect other segments of society that may not currently even be aware of their existence."

*         Don't forget, you can check with your library's legal counsel.

--Katie