[kids-lib] New books at State Library: Book & author programs, picture books, summer matters

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Mon Aug 8 12:56:13 PDT 2016

The following new titles are available for interlibrary loan from the Oregon State Library.

[https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dITb_pgGySk/V6jc1oWS5kI/AAAAAAAAAvQ/Vj8egllnPKsdHEWlQpGXwDe9I6pRn_3ogCLcB/s1600/bookauthor.jpg]<https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dITb_pgGySk/V6jc1oWS5kI/AAAAAAAAAvQ/Vj8egllnPKsdHEWlQpGXwDe9I6pRn_3ogCLcB/s1600/bookauthor.jpg>
Hooper, Brad. (2016). The Librarian's Guide to Book Programs and Author Events. Chicago, IL: ALA editions. 978-0-8389-1384-0.

>From hosting authors to planning and coordinating book activities such as book signings and book clubs, libraries are perfect venues for readers to interact directly with authors and their books.

  *   includes step-by-step guidance adaptable to any type of audience, from children and teens to millennials and older adults;
  *   shows how to plan author readings, coordinate book signings, and put together and moderate an author panel;
  *   offers marketing and outreach pointers, including interviewing authors for local radio, library podcasts, or webinars;
  *   lays out the nuts-and-bolts of organizing and hosting book clubs, with suggestions for facilitating book group discussions;
  *   presents ideas for creating displays of "staff favorites" and other ways to get staff involved and engaged; and
  *   explores programs for community-wide book events, such as "One Book, One City."

[https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KvKMoatnVKI/V6jc1mBcKQI/AAAAAAAAAvc/qqdc2FzdjkUvoQyEDfLOCdK20Hk1_f_DQCEw/s1600/azoo.JPG]<https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KvKMoatnVKI/V6jc1mBcKQI/AAAAAAAAAvc/qqdc2FzdjkUvoQyEDfLOCdK20Hk1_f_DQCEw/s1600/azoo.JPG>
Thomas, Rebecca L. (2016). A to Zoo: Subject Access to Children's Picture Books (Supplement to the Ninth Edition). Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited. 978-1-61069-819-1.

A to Zoo is a beloved favorite of children's librarians everywhere, providing easy subject access that helps you build your collection and enhance programs and reading lists for young children. Covering children's picture books published in 2014 and 2015, this supplement complements the ninth edition of A to Zoo, enabling public and school librarians to easily identify recent books about animals, careers, character traits, foreign places, holidays, sports, and more

  *   Offers quick access to subjects of interest to young children
  *   Provides easy-to-understand subject headings that can be used by patrons as well as professionals
  *   Helps in preparing reading lists and organizing storytime themes
  *   Covers a broad range of subjects to meet the needs of librarians, teachers, parents, and homeschoolers
  *   Features user-friendly organization
  *   Includes in-depth indexing and full bibliographical details

[https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pHaZO2thpOI/V6jc1iSqnVI/AAAAAAAAAvc/EiCo_PntvNcTcYWOSSGYyTfgSROBh1g2ACEw/s320/summer.jpg]<https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pHaZO2thpOI/V6jc1iSqnVI/AAAAAAAAAvc/EiCo_PntvNcTcYWOSSGYyTfgSROBh1g2ACEw/s1600/summer.jpg>

Boulay, Matthew. (2016). Summer Matters: 10 Things Every Parent, Teacher, & Principal Should Know About June, July, & August. 9781533348418.

Mixing evidence, stories and expert accounts in a highly readable format, Summers Matter introduces readers to the problem of summer learning loss and provides tips and guidance for parents, teachers, and principals. Amid the bruising battles over how to transform our system of education, summer learning promises a clean slate. By turning our attention to this forgotten season, this groundbreaking book will reinvigorate the American way of learning and schooling.

In short, Summers Matter makes a convincing argument that the months of June, July, and August are as important as the months from September through May.

If you would like to request these or other materials from the Oregon State Library please use your library's established interlibrary loan process (e.g. OCLC or ALA request form).  Otherwise, send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us<mailto:library.request at state.or.us> or (fax) 503-588-7119. Items will be checked out to your library, not to you personally, for 4 weeks (print materials) or 2 weeks (videos). Materials will be delivered via mail or Orbis Cascade Alliance Courier, and you may return them the same way. Normally a single copy is purchased and is loaned on a first-come-first-serve basis. You may be put on a hold list for several weeks. Thank you for your patience.

Most library staff are able to use their library's interlibrary loan service to borrow professional development material. However, if you do not have access to these services or are not currently affiliated with a library, please contact me (katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>) to discuss alternative options for borrowing the material.

Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog<http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/> to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection and search our catalog<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic> for our complete holdings. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community. The Library Development Division welcomes your suggestions for acquisitions - see the blog for an input form or email us!

This collection is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Oregon State Library.

Katie Anderson, MLS, Youth Services Consultant
Library Support and Development Services<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/pages/index.aspx>
[cid:image004.png at 01D0358C.4523C4D0]<https://www.facebook.com/ORLibSupport>  [http://www.thewwwblog.com/images/blogger-logo.jpg] <http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/>   [http://www.aethlonmedical.com/assets/001/5130.png] <https://twitter.com/orlibsupport>   [Picture] <http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/Pages/index.aspx>