[kids-lib] 2016 Mock Pura Belpré Award

Martín Blasco MartinB at wccls.org
Wed Oct 19 10:36:21 PDT 2016

¡Buenos días!

The REFORMA Oregon Chapter Round Table (RORT) for the Oregon Library Association is launching, for the second time, the Mock Pura Belpre Award. This is a great opportunity not only for librarians and library staff who are working with Latino and/or Spanish speaking children, but also for all children's librarians.
We are expecting that the event will be another important learning experience for all the attendees. The focus of the workshop will be on knowledge building by including titles which are open to deliberation regarding the Pura Belpre Awards criteria. This will helps us to raise awareness of the importance of more quality children’s literature written and/or illustrated by Latino authors.

Attached you’ll find all the information you need to be prepared for this event. We’ll be discussing eight titles nominated for the mock award and select the best author and best illustrator. Among these titles, Lion Island by Margarita Engle is the only one which is not a picture book. I’d suggest that you read this title first to be prepared for the discussion.

I will send this information again in November and it will be posted in the REFORMA Oregon Chapter website, reformaoregon.weebly.com<www.reformaoregon.weebly.com>.

I hope to see you then. Have a great day,

Martín

Martín Blasco
Outreach Librarian for Latino and Multicultural Services
Washington County Cooperative Library Services | 503-681-5093
martinb at wccls.org<mailto:martinb at wccls.org> | facebook.org/bibliotecaswccls<http://www.facebook.org/bibliotecaswccls>

“Emborráchate de literatura, porque tu resaca será la cultura”.
“Get drunk with literature, because your hangover will be culture”
Julio Cortázar