[kids-lib] Stumper

Holly Campbell-Polivka Hollyc at tigard-or.gov
Fri Oct 21 15:42:00 PDT 2016

Hi Great Brain,

A patron remembers checking out a picture book that is probably an indigenous Native American or Latin American folktale. It is a story about a wife who died and whose husband wanted to go with her to the afterlife. She tried to warn him that the afterlife would not be the same for him as it was for her, but he followed her anyway. For her the afterlife was "paradise" (that specific word is used in the book) but all the husband could see was rotting and death. She believes there was a snakebite involved somewhere. It might be a Day of the Dead tale, but she's not sure of that. It has been several years since she read it. The description sort of reminds me of the movie The Book of Life, but the info I find on that movie shows that it was based on an original idea by the filmmaker, not a folktale. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Holly Polivka
Youth Services Librarian
Tigard Public Library
Direct Line: 503.718.2811
Children's Desk: 503.718.2673
Hours W 5:30-9:30; F 9:30-6:00; Sa 10:00-6:30

DISCLAIMER: E-mails sent or received by City of Tigard employees are subject to public record laws. If requested, e-mail may be disclosed to another party unless exempt from disclosure under Oregon Public Records Law. E-mails are retained by the City of Tigard in compliance with the Oregon Administrative Rules "City General Records Retention Schedule."