[kids-lib] 2017 Mock Pura Belpre

Elizabeth Lopez Elizabeth.Lopez at hillsboro-oregon.gov
Thu Oct 12 17:36:59 PDT 2017

Hi Everyone,

The REFORMA Oregon Round Table (RORT) is happy to invite you to the 3rd annual Mock Pura Belpré awards happening on November 4 from 1-4pm at the Deschutes Public Library. The mock is an excellent opportunity for library staff working with children and/or the Latinx/Spanish speaking community to participate in lively discussion and learn more about Latinx children's literature.

This year's mock includes a presentation by Patricia Móran, Spanish Bilingual Youth Librarian at Multnomah County Library, about her travels to Mexico for the Ibero-American Congress of Language and Children's Literature(CILELIJ: http://www.cilelij.com/) and the Children's Literature International Fair (FLIJ: http://filij.cultura.gob.mx/index.html) in 2016.   We will review the purpose and history of the Pura Belpré award along with the selection criteria.  Afterwards we will dive into small group discussion of the eight titles selected and vote for the mock author and illustrator award winners.

Attached you will find the list of selected titles and agenda along with information about lodging/eating options in the Bend area. We encourage participants to read as many titles as possible before the mock and also to bring along copies of the titles to share during the discussion. You can find more information about the Pura Belpré award posted on the REFORMA Oregon Chapter website: http://reformaoregon.weebly.com/2017-mock-pura-belpre.html.

We look forward to seeing you in Bend. If you have any questions, please contact Gabriela Hernández at gabrielah at dpls.lib.or.us<mailto:gabrielah at dpls.lib.or.us> or Elizabeth López at Elizabeth.lopez at hillsboro-oregon.gov<mailto:Elizabeth.lopez at hillsboro-oregon.gov>

Thanks!
-Elizabeth

Elizabeth López | Shute Park Branch Librarian Supervisor
City of Hillsboro |Hillsboro Public Library
phone 503-615-6597| email elizabeth.lopez at hillsboro-oregon.gov<mailto:elizabeth.lopez at hillsboro-oregon.gov>
www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/Library<http://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/Library>
Follow us on Twitter @HillsboroLib<https://twitter.com/HillsboroLib> and Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/HillsboroPublicLibrary>
Member of Washington County Cooperative Library Services (WCCLS) | http://www.wccls.org<http://www.wccls.org/>

Please note: my work week is Tuesday - Saturday