[kids-lib] OBOB & George News Coverage: Think Out Loud Segment on 5/18, SLJ Article, Education Week Blog
jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Thu May 17 17:44:23 PDT 2018
Please pardon the cross-posting. I posted this on the OASL listserv, and I thought some of you might be interested in it. -- Thanks, Jen
From: Jennifer Maurer
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:39 PM
To: OASL Listserv
Subject: OBOB & George News Coverage: Think Out Loud Segment on 5/18, SLJ Article, Education Week Blog
I thought some of you might be interested in Friday's OPB "Think Out Loud" segment on OBOB & George. It will air at noon and again at 8 pm. Also, Miranda Doyle, OASL Intellectual Freedom Chair, wrote an excellent article about the situation for School Library Journal. Today's Education Week blog also has an article, and a few Oregon newspapers have published editorials in support of inclusion of George on the OBOB list.
Here's a list of recent news coverage:
* OPB “Think Out Loud” segment<https://www.opb.org/radio/programs/thinkoutloud/segment/news-roundtable-battle-of-books-cybercrime/> w/ OBOB Title Selection Chair (Courtney Snyder) and Cascade School District Superintendent, will air at noon and again at 8 pm on 5/18/17
* "Librarians Cannot Self-Censor or Capitulate To ‘George’ Complaints<https://www.slj.com/2018/05/opinion/librarians-cannot-self-censor-capitulate-george-complaints-opinion/>" School Library Journal, by Miranda Doyle (OASL Intellectual Freedom Chair), 5/17/18
* “Book about Transgender Child Sparks Controversy…<http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/curriculum/2018/05/kids_book_about_transgender_ch.html>” Education Week blog, 5/17/18
* “Lake Oswego School District Stands Behind Book…<https://portlandtribune.com/lor/108-education/395774-288821-lake-oswego-school-district-stands-behind-book-at-center-of-state-battle>” Lake Oswego Review / Portland Tribute, 5/16/18
* “Cascade School District decision to avoid book competition is disappointing<https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/opinion/editorials/2018/05/11/cascade-districts-decision-avoid-book-competition-disappointing/602555002/>” by the Statesman Journal Editorial Board, Statesman Journal, 5/11/18
* “Our View: Don’t Discourage Children from Reading<http://www.dailyastorian.com/editorials/20180510/our-view-dont-discourage-children-from-reading>” Daily Astorian, 5/10/18 (Text is identical to “Our View: Curious about George” editorial in East Oregonian on 5/8/18)
* “Our View: Curious about ‘George’<http://www.eastoregonian.com/eo/editorials/20180508/our-view-curious-about-george>” East Oregonian, 5/8/18
* “Oregon School Districts Pull Out of Reading Contest…<https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/oregon-school-districts-pull-out-of-reading-contest-over-transgender-book>” LifeSite, 5/8/18
* “Parents Are Divided over a Book…<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/books/george-alex-gino-controversy-oregon.html>” The New York Times, 5/8/18
This may be a good time to make sure your district / school's collection development and reconsideration policies<http://www.ala.org/tools/challengesupport/selectionpolicytoolkit> are current and that administrators are aware of them, to start proactive discussions, to make sure folks know that gender identity and expression are covered in the Oregon Health Education Standards<http://www.oregon.gov/ode/educator-resources/standards/health/Pages/default.aspx> as early as kindergarten, and/or ...
Jen Maurer, MLS
School Library Consultant
State Library of Oregon |Library Support and Development
jennifer.maurer at state.or.us<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us> | 503-378-5011 | www.oregon.gov/osl/ld<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/ld>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/orlibsupport> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ORLibSupport> | Tumblr<http://www.statelibraryor.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>
From: Libs-Or [libs-or-bounces at listsmart.osl.state.or.us] on behalf of Ross Betzer [rossbk at multcolib.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:00 PM
To: libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Subject: [Libs-Or] 5/18/18 Think Out Loud segment on George and Oregon Battle of the Books
Tune in to OPB radio's Think Out Loud radio program tomorrow (5/18/18, 12 PM and repeated at 8 PM) for a segment <https://www.opb.org/radio/programs/thinkoutloud/segment/news-roundtable-battle-of-books-cybercrime/> about Oregon Battle of the Books<https://www.opb.org/radio/programs/thinkoutloud/segment/news-roundtable-battle-of-books-cybercrime/> and the controversy around the selection of George for next year's reading lists.
Chair - Oregon Library Association Intellectual Freedom Committee
Librarian, Local Resources & Cataloging - Multnomah County Library
ifc.chair at olaweb.org<mailto:ifc.chair at olaweb.org>
My preferred pronouns are he/him/his
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 22488 bytes
More information about the Kids-lib