[kids-lib] $300 Google grant for hosting Hour of Code programs in your libraries - Apply by November 18!

Greta Bergquist greta.bergquist at state.or.us
Thu Nov 7 09:15:20 PST 2019

Hello everyone,

Did you know Computer Science Education Week is coming up December 9-15? Google is sponsoring $300 grants for public or school libraries to host 2 CS First activities for ages preK to 12th grade and the applications for funding are open now!

If you've already done programs using Scratch<https://scratch.mit.edu/> or an Hour of Code<https://hourofcode.com/us> program, you are an excellent candidate - it should not be that different from things you've already done. If you haven't used these resources before, this may be a good time to try them out!

You can read all about it on the Ready to Code website<http://www.ala.org/tools/readytocode/minigrant> and please consider applying. The deadline is November 18th but I promise the application is straightforward and the activity this year is a lot of fun (Code your Hero). The $300 can be used for anything in the spirit of supporting computational thinking activities - so you can be as creative as you like. If you need ideas of what you could purchase, here are some excellent suggestions: https://dpi.wi.gov/pld/coding-initiative/routes/best-buys

A note about privacy: To participate, you do not have to have a CS First account, you can still access the materials without signing up for an account or having students create an account. You can see more about this and read the CS First privacy policy on this page<https://support.google.com/csfirst/answer/7476833?hl=en#privacy_policy>.

I'm happy to share how I've done Hour of Code programs before with kids from 3rd grade-10th grade, let me know if you have questions!

Best,

Greta B

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant