[kids-lib] 2020 CSLP Summer Reading Update - Please Read

Greta Bergquist greta.bergquist at state.or.us
Fri Nov 8 11:55:16 PST 2019

Dear Oregon Libraries,

All Oregon public libraries who provide summer reading programs have access to Collaborative Summer Learning Program (CSLP) materials provided through a partnership with the State Library and two OLA units, the Children's Services Division and Oregon Young Adult Network.

Please read this letter regarding the use of Native American imagery in the 2020 graphics for CSLP<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nC9sHb_hZkjd2VZseXHPJB7WUpik5R1Y/view?usp=sharing> and my suggestion that you do not use the graphics and posters containing these images. Ultimately it is your library's choice whether or not to use the graphics in question, but my recommendation is to not use them. I encourage everyone to carefully evaluate the summer materials and programs you will be offering for cultural appropriation and non-inclusive content. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me and your Oregon CSLP representatives: Nicole Newsom, Multnomah County Library, 503-988-6312, and K'Lyn Han, Newberg Public Library, 503-544-7732.

Thank you for your attention as we work to make our libraries accessible and inclusive for all Oregon kids, teens, and families this coming summer.

Best,

Greta B

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant