[kids-lib] Described and Captioned Media Program (DCMP) for Students w/ Hearing & Vision Impairments

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Wed Nov 20 10:49:21 PST 2019

Please pardon the cross-posting.

[cid:image003.png at 01D59F8F.F68579E0]Hi,

While at the American Association of School Librarians conference, I learned about the Described and Captioned Media Program<https://dcmp.org/> (DCMP). I thought I'd share the info, in case this resource is new to you.

DCMP provides access to over 8,000 accessible educational videos through online streaming and DVD. Families, educators, and other professionals who have at least one qualifying K-12 student (a student who is deaf, hard of hearing, blind, low vision, or deaf-blind) are eligible for free membership. Qualifying students can have their own accounts<https://dcmp.org/learn/394>, but those are connected to and controlled by the adult members' accounts. Because the program is funded through the U.S. Department of Education, adults with hearing and vision impairments do not qualify for the service.

Nowhere on their page do they list public library staff as being eligible professionals to create accounts, that I could find. I called (800-237-6213) and spoke with someone who said that PL staff working with visually or hearing-impaired K-12 patrons would qualify. However, she recommended that because of how student access works, it would be better to encourage the eligible child's parent or caregiver to create the account.

Program staff also host online trainings for teachers and professionals working with students who are deaf, hard of hearing, blind, low vision, and deaf-blind. These online opportunities offer CEUs and are available free of charge. Additionally, staff can provide live trainings for in-service days via video conferencing.

Check out their About<https://dcmp.org/about-dcmp>, FAQ<https://dcmp.org/learn/401>, Help<https://dcmp.org/help>, and Training<https://dcmp.org/elearning> pages for more info.
DCMP is a separate service than what the Oregon Talking Book and Braille Library<https://www.oregon.gov/Library/print-disabilities/Pages/default.aspx> provides for eligible students<https://www.oregon.gov/library/print-disabilities/Pages/Students.aspx>, which includes audiobooks, Braille books, some descriptive videos, and more. Those seeking textbooks for visually-impaired students can contact the Oregon Textbook & Media Center<https://www.wesd.org/domain/57> (OTMC) which is based out of the Willamette Education Service District.

Please let appropriate staff and families know.

Thanks,
Jen

Jen Maurer, MLS
School Library Consultant