[kids-lib] Oregon Battle of the Books titles

Korie Jones Buerkle korie.buerkle at newbergoregon.gov
Wed Nov 20 16:04:59 PST 2019

Hello all,
On behalf of the Oregon Battle of the Books executive board I want to address concerns that have been brought to us about two books on the elementary list for 2019-2020. Specifically, concerns were brought up about racism in both Fablehaven (European "saviors," referring to a character of apparent Asian ancestry as "exotic beauty") and Fish in a Tree (positive stereotyping). Thank you to Katie Anderson and Holly Campbell-Polivka for talking through concerns and possible next steps.

As you probably are aware, once books are on the official OBOB list they remain on the list. However, we have taken increased steps to understand and address bias in the books we choose for our three Title Selection committees. This year Title Selection committee members received a copy of the Bias Checklist from Fostering Readers (Fostering Readers by Deborah Gitlitz, Jen Burkart, Kari Kunst, Kelli Scardina, NPC Research, OregonASK, and Washington County Cooperative Library Services is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License). This will provide a helpful structure for discussing concerns at the selection meetings.

We could use the help of our wider community for this year's nominated books. Links are now available for feedback (positive or otherwise) of nominated books for 2020-2021. The list of nominated books is available as drop-down in the feedback forms:
3-5 titles:  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScINhbg-meWiuwuWW6-SZwxhUFn9LOw8J01hulS9ajyrRJwFg/viewform
6-8 titles: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeha-bNmtwpzwmybH9ow-2CsHXxBZPGoNjXAuKmx_ajNCfMqA/viewform
9-12 titles: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeNQCmCFRAgkMV80gCqqmqg6wosa84HnMUJWNBktTSNfOisA/viewform

If you have concerns about bias, racism, etc. in any of the books, please leave your feedback. Being as specific as possible is a great help, and we appreciate your time.

If you are interested in serving on future Title Selection committee you can apply at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdOCDPPWvPD_wfXQfrVSToVLu092zY_zVaPziM7BAWQI0ETwA/viewform. If you are interested in volunteering with OBOB in others ways, please let me know.

Thank you,
Korie

--
Korie Jones Buerkle (she/her)
OBOB Finance Chair
obobfinancechair at gmail.com
503-538-1944 (texts preferred)
obobfinancechair at gmail.com

OBOB is a volunteer-run organization, funded partially by an
LSTA grant through the State Library of Oregon.

Questions?
Please visit our website at oregonbattleofthebooks.org<http://oregonbattleofthebooks.org/>
Watch an official battle here<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtTsoHtGTLg&feature=youtu.be>
Find the OBOB Handbook here<https://www.oregonbattleofthebooks.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/obob-handbook-2019-2020.pdf>