[kids-lib] Grants: Autism Welcome, Gardens, Ezra Jack Keats, & Awesome Foundation

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Mon Nov 25 09:31:28 PST 2019

Please pardon the wide cross-posting.

Hi,

Here is information about some grant opportunities. Two of the four grants are specific to youth services.

Autism Welcome Here
This grant is sponsored by Libraries and Autism: We’re Connected, and applications are due December 2, 2019. “Each year, a total of $5,000.00 will be awarded. Depending on the applications received, one grant for the full amount or multiple grants for smaller amounts totaling $5,000.00 may be awarded. Any type of library in the United States or Canada can apply, and the proposal can fund projects and services for any age group. Applicants may propose to initiate a new, creative program or service, bring an already-existing, successful program or service to their library for the first time, or enhance a program or service they already offer. All programs or services proposed must benefit people with autism or their families, directly or indirectly. Funds may be used to hire a trainer to present a workshop, to buy program materials, to pay for staff, etc.”

            http://librariesandautism.org/grant/

Youth Garden Grants from KidsGardening.org
The Youth Garden Grant is open to any nonprofit organization, public or private school, or youth program in the U.S. planning a new garden program or expanding an established one that serves at least 15 youth between the ages of 3 and 18. The selection of winners is based on demonstrated program impact and sustainability. A total of 25 programs will each be awarded a combination of cash, tools and supplies, and curriculum. Applications are due December 16, 2019.

            https://kidsgardening.org/2020-youth-garden-grant/

Awesome Foundation
Libraries seem to be eligible for the basic and library-focused grants. “Have a crazy brilliant idea that needs funding? We award $1,000 grants every month. It couldn't be simpler! Your idea is yours alone. We don't want a stake in it. We just want to help you make it happen!”

https://www.awesomefoundation.org/
            https://www.awesomefoundation.org/en/about_us

This is about the library-specific grant: “We believe that strong libraries create better educated citizens and communities with stronger social ties. The Awesome Libraries Chapter was created by a small working group of passionate librarians within Library Pipeline who wanted to provide a catalyst for prototyping both technical and non-technical library innovations that embody the principles of diversity, inclusivity, creativity, and risk-taking. Naturally, we embedded these principles into the grant selection guidelines. We are thankful for our dedicated team of trustees and sponsors who make this initiative possible. If you have an awesome library project that fits within these principles, we want your application! We will fund projects on a quarterly model in 2019-20: March/June (American Library Association Pitch)/September/January 2020 (American Library Association). Applications are welcome at any time.”

https://www.awesomefoundation.org/en/chapters/libraries

Ezra Jack Keats Foundation Mini-Grant
Teachers and licensed librarians in public schools and librarians in public libraries are eligible to apply for an award of up to $500 to provide creative, innovative programs that support or extend the Common Core Standards in education through enriched experiences. Up to 70 grants will be awarded, and applications are due March 31, 2020. This is for programs aimed at students of all ages, not just for younger students. For example, see the featured project by Liz Fox at Newport High School (Oregon). I suggest reading the FAQ, watching the 3-minute overview video, and browsing the gallery of great mini-grant programs before applying.

            http://www.ezra-jack-keats.org/faq/faq-mini-grants/ (FAQ)
            http://www.ezra-jack-keats.org/how-to-apply-for-a-mini-grant/ (includes sample application form under Do’s & Don’ts)
            http://www.ezra-jack-keats.org/section/great-mini-grant-programs/ (featured past projects)
            https://www.ezra-jack-keats.org/great-mini-grant-programs/ghas-tv-xvm-dvn/ (featured past project by Liz Fox from Newport)
            https://www.ezra-jack-keats.org/2019-mini-grant-winners/ (2019 winners)
            http://www.ezra-jack-keats.org/section/ezra-jack-keats-mini-grant-program-for-public-libraries-public-schools/ (homepage)

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D5A373.2FB9CD10]
I learned about several of these grants through the Library Grants blog<http://librarygrants.blogspot.com/> maintained by Stephanie Gerding and Pam MacKellar. They wrote Winning Grants: A How-To-Do-It Manual for Librarians<https://ccrls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/oslpublic/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ILS$002f0$002fSD_ILS:1347249/one?qu=Winning+Grants%3A+A+How-To-Do-It+Manual+for+Librarians>, which is available to borrow from the State Library’s LIS Collection<https://www.oregon.gov/Library/libraries/Pages/LIS-Collection.aspx>. You can subscribe to the blog or follow the site on Twitter to receive info about grant and scholarship opportunities.

Thanks,
Jen

Jen Maurer, MLS
School Library Consultant
jennifer.maurer at state.or.us<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us> | 503-378-5011 | www.oregon.gov/library/libraries<https://clicks.memberclicks-mail.net/wf/click?upn=JldG-2FXlPN4LqtW3GIhX2uSnquIw-2FgLirICuQB3-2BNAWDHtSgnE85yCYA9ecMMQP4y_cthq0z3adJO3eRdfaqambligC7nDaI0TdQox-2FrFVazfBgs98R0eahCjA8XBFR2wlDUZVKcPxf7cjl4PZP3TkWwaMSPbpFbCNYDlgZvk7Ui4bn28VVoce9Cs5g0dnZFK7ao2BzSNdTFHrq04yQyiGTAxBEzarPyhHeop7v6DVElXhW7UXsojttP1PNIvLt09iamy0Fluu1m-2BgveUFVG8COWR2iLXVKK1Rk5vHjsv-2F7vACuosyW9uc6eGC6g8CvYbwB04JTfbgitZ54PXhX13Kd86a1xrE6RVp7eXTO-2Bf4j143pkD-2FNThFPBT7seMco9ERzT-2BZybkzEKLXpoi84OMLMg-3D-3D>
Follow us: Facebook<https://clicks.memberclicks-mail.net/wf/click?upn=1tTJEI2vCo9dpvXSvaA1b0Az2yXkagbbLN7v83CngaG5sn1qB9wDgys1wTKLZS-2Fm_cthq0z3adJO3eRdfaqambligC7nDaI0TdQox-2FrFVazfBgs98R0eahCjA8XBFR2wlDUZVKcPxf7cjl4PZP3TkWwaMSPbpFbCNYDlgZvk7Ui4bn28VVoce9Cs5g0dnZFK7ao2BzSNdTFHrq04yQyiGTAxBEzarPyhHeop7v6DVElXhW7UXsojttP1PNIvLt09iTsvJMYybuItLppCYD171o4m6ZdkbqLjj0N0oVjbtyTzpLAJzUnBM-2BzZrnupO5hd5FwPhM-2F-2BoYr-2B3GByskV8y9oSuCBqbnRI4C6g3nrsdJVUKajcwbbFzxTqbyj1u6RVXHMx7PB70hYnSczvt8o3Unw-3D-3D> | Twitter<https://clicks.memberclicks-mail.net/wf/click?upn=8Cevf6VcjoH-2FQiPZS5m18dULQIZApZgmgejzSVHajDlPzMovhtJ0Q-2BlDJBoiCKaX_cthq0z3adJO3eRdfaqambligC7nDaI0TdQox-2FrFVazfBgs98R0eahCjA8XBFR2wlDUZVKcPxf7cjl4PZP3TkWwaMSPbpFbCNYDlgZvk7Ui4bn28VVoce9Cs5g0dnZFK7ao2BzSNdTFHrq04yQyiGTAxBEzarPyhHeop7v6DVElXhW7UXsojttP1PNIvLt09iVtk8qdkVO2y7A0MJkou-2Bo7FWrrZUUrzOOSU79pw2w-2BjGM9ZPHwbA-2F3D-2BJSV8SA2-2FuPzqBsha9nNLqQ3ha5XN36IcKdl6u2fe4xCEDKld7s-2B1mE9Vj0-2FBNEAOJQHe6vUe5BHexgRX21P5d252JOQorQ-3D-3D> | Tumblr<https://clicks.memberclicks-mail.net/wf/click?upn=JldG-2FXlPN4LqtW3GIhX2uSAF5OPx8pKXGryOoaAqjIRQQZ83Rr49B0JkYpwvjIUq_cthq0z3adJO3eRdfaqambligC7nDaI0TdQox-2FrFVazfBgs98R0eahCjA8XBFR2wlDUZVKcPxf7cjl4PZP3TkWwaMSPbpFbCNYDlgZvk7Ui4bn28VVoce9Cs5g0dnZFK7ao2BzSNdTFHrq04yQyiGTAxBEzarPyhHeop7v6DVElXhW7UXsojttP1PNIvLt09imA2o6GThC-2FKdgqNVn3QunU-2FirXr4oLoY5iVt1z5VWMtSo-2FjzXbNbUTl14Iz-2FN-2BgM61JuXnHJhY6dC4ahHQ6Pbsuq3CEQyqEDUrxgSxqx5FObtGw7mBSScek9m0vs3j9aXbqXXeoVQvBmDgN-2FmGtiiw-3D-3D> | Pinterest<https://clicks.memberclicks-mail.net/wf/click?upn=8Cevf6VcjoH-2FQiPZS5m18W1YaS5Nd5xiFk8Uov-2BR-2FM76IS7LfhF9J8-2FoCB1AstB-2F_cthq0z3adJO3eRdfaqambligC7nDaI0TdQox-2FrFVazfBgs98R0eahCjA8XBFR2wlDUZVKcPxf7cjl4PZP3TkWwaMSPbpFbCNYDlgZvk7Ui4bn28VVoce9Cs5g0dnZFK7ao2BzSNdTFHrq04yQyiGTAxBEzarPyhHeop7v6DVElXhW7UXsojttP1PNIvLt09igyJIZKhfuSq-2B4urwhuP-2BkBOPXLdvy4gkBITHu0TQHRt0oQf7DtcaeZ9U5op9cB1brpKCOoygIRhFgEglXEvkFEE5K8znTBQ6IlruyTauKFLt1FXJ4MoMIg4KOAd4RSmebEv-2FTAOhD3-2BmrKKOZvtSwA-3D-3D>
[cid:image001.png at 01D348CF.6A72E0A0]