[kids-lib] Thursday, April 2nd

Greta Bergquist greta.bergquist at state.or.us
Thu Apr 2 14:45:40 PDT 2020

Hello library folks,

It's Thursday, we're almost to Friday! Before I share this link with you today, I want to caveat that IT IS OKAY IF YOUR LIBRARY IS TAKING A DIFFERENT APPROACH. Sorry for the all caps yelling, but I really don't want anyone to feel pressured or overwhelmed. I just want to share one small way an Oregon library is working to reach their community in this challenging time, with a 4 minute rhyming video on Facebook.

This is Five Yummy Cookies from Happy Valley Library's Mr. Isaac: https://www.facebook.com/HappyValleyLibrary/videos/1394643770743039/  A couple reasons this is really great: Isaac normally does a lot of storytime and family programming, and Happy Valley wants to offer their community a way to connect with someone they know. This is also super short, and attention spans of littles are pretty short, so a quick clip of a rhyme is great! Toddler parents can play it over and over again until everyone knows it by heart. This rhyme in particular is building essential early learning skills by using repetition very well. All this to say: you don't have to read a whole book to do online storytime! :) A few folks brought up in this week's check-in that we need to remember our purpose and WHY we are doing online content, and the above are all great reasons to do this particular content.
If you'd like to talk specifically about online storytime/share what you are doing/hear what others are working on, you can join me and others at this storytime meet up next Tuesday the 7th at 11 am using the same link for our weekly Tuesday check-ins: https://zoom.us/j/279500142 You don't have to have video to call in, you can use your phone to call 1 253 215 8782 and use the Meeting ID: 279 500 142.

Take good care,

Greta B

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant
503-378-2528 | www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/?hl=en> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

Coronavirus Info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[cid:image003.png at 01D608FD.8AC56A30]