[kids-lib] Monday, March 23

Greta Bergquist Greta.Bergquist at state.or.us
Mon Mar 23 11:33:10 PDT 2020

Hello library friends,

I am so glad it's Monday and you are here. I know you are all anxious to offer immediate resources to your communities, and I am so grateful you want to help. I know many of you want to do virtual storytimes and in your communities, you are a trusted and friendly face who could provide much comfort and stability. If you are able to use your library's social media platforms to post a message or do a livestream storytime, that's great. If you are not able to do that, that is okay too. We are all doing the best we can with what we have, and it is okay if the best you do today is take care of you and your family.
If you feel it's important to do a virtual event this week, consider using any of the KCLS rhymes/songs<https://kcls.org/content/> or Jbrary rhymes/songs<https://jbrary.com/youtube-playlists/>, all fair use. I would suggest three rhymes and two fingerplays to show parents how they can do the same - the fact is they might not have access to books and they can see that the many ways to still engage with literacy and learning and direct hands-on play with their children.
For specific books, this guidance from School Library Journal<https://www.slj.com/?detailStory=publishers-adapt-policies-to-help-educators-coronavirus-covid19> about publisher permissions may also be helpful. Please know that the Colorado State Library and ALSC are coordinating a national resource for virtual storytimes, including copyright, best practices, and technology concerns, so there will be more on this shortly.
Remember that you can, as ever, be a model for your patrons (and parents) who are stressed or worried about their children falling behind and losing learning time. By showing them that learning happens in so many different ways, we can also assure them that they don't need to turn into perfect, homeschooling geniuses with 48 hours notice. (And you don't have to turn into an online genius in that time either!) We are all doing the best we can.
Take good care,

Greta

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant
503-378-2528 | www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/?hl=en> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

Coronavirus Info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[cid:image002.png at 01D60106.FF2848B0]