[kids-lib] Wednesday May 19th Helping Kids Work Through Failure

Greta Bergquist greta.bergquist at state.or.us
Wed May 20 08:23:44 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

It's Wednesday! Hope you are doing well in your neck of the woods. If you'd like to see notes from yesterday's check-in, you can access these from the link at the top of the Youth Services page<https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/c.php?g=1011618&p=7362153> on the COVID-19 Guide for Libraries.  The topic of experimenting and being okay to fail if things don't work out in this stressful time came up a LOT yesterday. We often plan programming that gives kids the opportunity to try things that may or may not work out the first time. At the exact same time, we often don't give ourselves the same permission to try things and be okay with things not working out, but we're all still learning too, just like kids are.

Here's an article to read about helping kids work through failure<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/08/parenting/teach-your-kids-to-fail.html>. We'll talk about it next week at Tuesday's check-in and it would be great if you have time to read it (it's approximately a page) but if you don't have time, join us next week anyway! :) If  you've got a little more time, this article goes into a little more detail<https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/05/06/476884049/how-to-teach-children-that-failure-is-the-secret-to-success>.

Take care,

Greta

Greta Bergquist
Youth Services Consultant
503-378-2528 | www.oregon.gov/library<https://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/?hl=en> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/>

Coronavirus Info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[cid:image002.png at 01D62E80.2F742240]