[kids-lib] Friday, April 2nd Shoutout and Upcoming Intellectual Freedom Conversation

BERGQUIST Greta E * SLO Greta.BERGQUIST at slo.oregon.gov
Fri Apr 2 10:27:56 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

Happy Friday! This week I’ve been grateful for the signs of spring all around us – pink flowering quince next to the yellow daffodils, tulips opening slowly, and the beloved Capitol cherry trees blossoming spectacularly this week. I also continue to be grateful for the work you are all doing. This week’s shoutout goes to Curry Public Library - for working with partners to make this cool exhibit happen: https://www.facebook.com/currypubliclibrary/posts/4143234412367561 - It’s been such a tough year, but you all continually amaze me with how creative and fun you continue to be for your community!

There’s been a lot of discussion around intellectual freedom and collections the past couple weeks. If you’d like to attend a live discussion, the OLA Intellectual Freedom committee is going to host a session April 14th, see below. If you can’t do a live session, it will be recorded. Also, Nashville Public Library staff have been working on a collection audit project for the past 4 years, this presentation<https://vimeo.com/470260821> may be helpful for you in this ongoing conversation of how we are actively fostering welcoming spaces for all our families, and how we also value open and accessible collections and materials. There aren’t easy answers to these questions and we must work together to figure out solutions that work for our communities – thank you for being willing to do this work!

Best,
Greta

Greta Bergquist, MLIS, MAT (she/her/hers)
Youth Services Consultant
State Library of Oregon
greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov>  | 971-375-3549
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>
Follow us: Facebook<http://fb.me/StateLibraryOR> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/StateLibraryOR> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/statelibraryor/> | Pinterest<https://pinterest.com/statelibraryor/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-kU8Gu0jS_YcnXg-b_TRA/featured>
Coronavirus Info: https://libguides.osl.state.or.us/coronavirus

[Title: State Library of Oregon]