[kids-lib] Ready to use virtual literacy program plans to support K-3rd graders

Katie Anderson katiea at wccls.org
Mon Feb 8 14:57:39 PST 2021

Hi all,

Remember Fostering Readers? You can find information and resources to plan your own research-based literacy programs for K-3rd grade children who are learning how to read on the Fostering Readers website<https://fosteringreaders.weebly.com/>.

Tigard Public Library has a monthly Fostering Readers virtual program to increase their support for students while local schools are online only. Librarian Holly Campbell-Polivka has implemented some of the original activity plans<https://fosteringreaders.weebly.com/streamlined-activity-plans.html> and used the planning template<https://fosteringreaders.weebly.com/create-your-own-activities.html> to create her own, new activity plans<https://fosteringreaders.weebly.com/activity-plans-by-others.html> that she has generously shared with us!

  *   New Twists on Old Tales, Part 1: Can you build a house that can stand up to the Big Bad Wolf? Join us in exploring alternate versions of The Three Little Pigs and test your building skills.

  *   New Twists on Old Tales, Part 2: In this adventure, we will explore alternate versions of our favorite fairy tales, learn about fairy tale elements, and work together to write our own fractured fairy tale.

  *   Play with Words: Join us for fun and games that expand vocabulary. We will tell jokes, solve riddles, do brain-teasing puzzles, and play other word games.

  *   You’re a Poet and You Didn’t Know It!: Have fun listening to and writing poetry! We will learn how to use a thesaurus, explore four different types of poems, and create our own poems.

Katie Anderson
Youth Services Librarian
Library & Community Initiatives Team
Washington County Cooperative Library Services<https://www.wccls.org/>