[kids-lib] Friday, September 20th Shoutout

BERGQUIST Greta * SLO Greta.BERGQUIST at slo.oregon.gov
Fri Sep 20 16:27:25 PDT 2024

Hello everyone,

Whew, we made it to another Friday! Hope all is well where you are today, per usual a lot of good stuff is happening around Oregon!

It's Hispanic Heritage Month and I love the way Jefferson County Library showed up for their local Latino Fest<https://www.facebook.com/jeffersoncountylibrary/posts/pfbid0XLoVeK2xDJLi9Hr5jhDwaP4oUCu2Y8XR2QzfbGDHVjd6YyW2tr1eH7Ws5BdqgGfml>!

It's also Library Card Sign-up month. I really appreciate how Korie Buerkle wrote about the many ways to use a library card<https://www.newberggraphic.com/news/among-the-library-shelves-its-library-card-sign-up-month/article_581db8fe-747c-11ef-bfa2-3315b10ec3bf.html> in Newberg.

STEM Hubs do some really great programming with all of you (and so many schools or other community organizations!). The Columbia Gorge Learning to Lead program<https://columbiacommunityconnection.com/the-dalles/learning-to-lead-program-continues-for-third-year-to-empower-teen-stem-leaders> empowers teens to help lead at school, afterschool, and library programs. If you haven't had a chance to connect with anyone at your STEM Hub yet, check them out<https://www.oregonstem.org/hubs>! They usually have a monthly meeting for community partners that is a good spot for meeting other folks who are also working to help kids become successful grownups.

And speaking of teens, Eugene Public Library has an awesome new 2 minute video highlighting teen services<https://www.eugene-or.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=6724>. It's a great model for any PSAs you may want to share with your own community.

I hope you have a chance to take a bit of time for yourself this weekend to rest and recharge with friend and family. Thanks so much for all the good work your library is doing!

Best, Greta
Greta Bergquist, MLIS, MAT (she/her/hers)
Youth Services Consultant
State Library of Oregon
greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov<mailto:greta.bergquist at slo.oregon.gov>  | 971-375-3549
www.oregon.gov/library<http://www.oregon.gov/library>