[Libs-Or] Great Opportunity!!! Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association Fall Show and Conference

MaryKay Dahlgreen dahlgreen_marykay at oslmac.osl.state.or.us
Mon Aug 25 09:44:20 PDT 2008

The Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association is inviting librarians from their five member states to attend their fall trade show and conference in Portland and will be offering special workshops for librarians. Please read this message from Thom Chambliss, Executive Director:

PNBA Invites Librarians to Fall Show & Conference

The Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association invites up to 100 librarians from the Pacific Northwest to attend our 2008 fall tradeshow and conference at the Portland Airport Holiday Inn and Conference Center, from Monday, September 15 through Wednesday, September 17. Membership in PNBA is open to libraries in all of our five member states, WA, OR, ID, MT and AK, and costs just $100 for 2008, which allows up to four affiliated librarians or support staff to attend the show for free.

PNBA has always allowed libraries to have memberships in the Association, but this is the first year that we have actively sought out library participation at our shows. We are encouraging librarians to attend this show to learn more about the retail part of the book industry and to help our retail members learn more about how they might work more cooperatively with libraries to improve bookstore sales and library traffic. To encourage librarians to attend the show, we are offering a special series of educational sessions on Tuesday, September 16, specifically for librarians, but open to all show attendees. Many of the education sessions at this show address a variation of the question How Can Bookstores Work More Closely with neighboring Libraries for our Mutual Benefit? Anyone with a show badge may attend any evens, including the Monday education sessions.

A primary attraction for librarians at the PNBA shows is the large number of regional and local authors who attend the shows to promote their new books. Many publishers send their authors to the shows to sign and give away advanced readers' copies (ARC's) of forthcoming books, as "review" copies. All show attendees are welcome to attend any of the signing parties at the show, including the Monday Nightcapper, the Book & Author Breakfasts on Tuesday and Wednesday, the Tuesday Author Feast, the Wednesday Author Promotion signings and the Celebration of Authors. There are extra fees for meal events, to cover the cost of the meal.

The easiest way for librarians to register for the show is to download the pdf of the attendee registration form at the top left on our show web page, fill it out, and fax it to the PNBA office by Friday, August 29. Attendees can also register for the show on site, but must bring with you proof of book industry affiliation, which might be a business card, a purchase order, or some other document on official library letterhead attesting to the affiliation. The PNBA shows are not open to the public.

If PNBA succeeds with this first, trial experiment with Northwest librarians, we will extend the invitation in 2009 and add even more educational opportunities, using more Northwest librarians themselves to produce the sessions. We sincerely hope that you will attend the PNBA show, for one event or for all three days, whatever works best for you and your library.

Sincerely,

Thom Chambliss

Thom Chambliss, Executive Director
Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association
214 East 12th Avenue
Eugene, OR 97401-3245
T: 541-683-4363
F: 541-683-3910
E: thom at pnba.org
W: www.pnba.org
2008 Show: Monday - Wednesday, September 15 -17.
2009 Show: Thursday - Saturday, September 10-12.
Both shows will be held at the Holiday Inn at the Portland Airport, Portland, Oregon

MaryKay Dahlgreen
Program Manager, Library Development
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St. NE