[Libs-Or] Large print, braille and DAISY reference books

Peyton Stafford peyton at peytonstafford.com
Wed Aug 27 09:10:24 PDT 2008

One of the publishers I work with converts books into large print, braille
and DAISY formats. We get the books from their original publishers. A
reference publisher has asked us to consider converting their books. The
reading level is high school and above. The books are all curriculum support
with titles such as Critical Surveys of Literature, Great Lives from
History, and Decades in America. Many of them are heavily illustrated.

My question is whether these books would be useful to disabled library
patrons, and would libraries be able to purchase them. Most of them are
already available in electronic form over the web, so students can read them
with screen readers and other assistive devices. The original publisher
plans to make all their books available over the web, in time. If we
published them in large print or converted them to BRF (electronic braille)
and DAISY formats, would this actually help libraries and their patrons?

Peyton Stafford
PEYTON STAFFORD ASSOCIATES, Publishers' Representatives
Specializing in Nonfiction and Reference for Libraries

Toll-Free 866-428-5344 Office 971-645-4511
Cell 503-720-7149 Fax 503-210-0219
3 Monroe Parkway, Suite P-423, Lake Oswego, OR 97035
email: peyton at peytonstafford.com http://www.peytonstafford.com
See us at the OASL/WLMA Joint Conference, October 9-11, 2008!