[Libs-Or] DVDs with digital download

Jon Forest jon at lincc.org
Wed Dec 17 12:46:58 PST 2008

Some of our libraries have purchased the 2-disc set of The Dark Knight, and
disc 2 has all the special features and also includes a digital download of
the movie that can be played on a PC or some handheld devices.  We're trying
to figure out whether or not to allow patrons to access the digital copy.
The download requires a serial number code to access it, and the basic
question is whether or not to include that code when circulating the DVD.
In the past, we've had DVDs where the digital copy was on a disc by itself,
without special features.  On The Dark Knight however, simply removing the
disc with digital download is not an option, since the library specifically
decided to buy the 2-disc edition in order to allow patrons to see the
special features.

So, have other people considered this situation, and if so what have you
decided to do with these digital downloads?  Thanks.

Jon Forest, Systems Librarian
Library Information Network of Clackamas County
16239 SE McLoughlin Blvd. #208, Oak Grove, Oregon 97267
Email: jon at lincc.lib.or.us.  Phone: 503-723-4892.  Fax: 503-794-8238.