[Libs-Or] Call for Proposals for 2009 OLA Conference

Robin A. Paynter paynter at pdx.edu
Wed Sep 24 13:17:11 PDT 2008

Dear All,

First my apologies that I won't be able to attend this Friday's meeting
in person, and I'll try to send my comments ahead of time instead.

An issue came up for the academic division last year - the scheduling of
two or more academic library focused sessions at the same time and in
far flung corners of the conference facility. From the master conference
grid it appears that this year there will likely be two academic
sessions in each time slot too. That being the case, would it be
possible to locate them in adjacent and/or nearby rooms? It will make it
so much easier for participants to drop in on both sessions during the
time slot if they so desire.

I suspect the same issues pertain to the Technical Services sponsored
programs as well, so perhaps we could try whenever possible to schedule
sessions sponsored by the same group in adjacent or nearby rooms?

Thanks for your consideration of this proposal!

Sincerely,
Robin Paynter

Jane Nichols wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>

> Planning for the 2009 OLA Conference is underway! The conference,
> April 1-3, 2009, returns to the Salem Conference Center in Salem, OR.
> This year’s theme is: Oregon Reads: One State, Many Stories and you
> are welcome to incorporate the theme into your proposals, if you feel
> inspired to do so.
>

> The Program Committee is now accepting preconference and program
> proposals. Please refer to the attached Best Practices flyer for
> information on creating successful program proposals. The OLA
> Conference will continue its tradition of asking you to secure a
> sponsor from an OLA unit for your proposal. To aid you, the flyer also
> lists groups that can sponsor programs and contact information.
>

> The deadline for OLA preconference and program proposals is: SEPTEMBER
> 22, 2008. Please use the web forms at
> http://www.olaweb.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=74389&orgId=ola
> <http://www.olaweb.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=74389&orgId=ola> to
> submit your proposals. The Program Committee will acknowledge receipt
> of proposals within three business days. Final preconference and
> program decisions will be made by the OLA Conference Committee and
> announced by October 31, 2008.
>

> OLA 2009 will once again feature showcases! The deadline for showcase
> submission will be in November. A separate call will go out for
> showcase proposals.
>

> Key conference information is available at:
> http://www.olaweb.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=74389&orgId=ola
> <http://www.olaweb.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=74389&orgId=ola> with
> additional information coming soon.
>

> Please let me know if you have any questions or need any assistance.
>

> We're looking forward to a great conference!
>

> Jane Nichols
>
> Social Sciences/Humanities Librarian
>
> Oregon State University Libraries
>
> 121 The Valley Library
>
> Corvallis, OR 97331-3411
>
> tel: 541.737.7269 / fax:541.737.8224
>
> jane.nichols at oregonstate.edu
>
> IM:vlibjane (meebo)

Portland State University logo

*Robin Paynter*
Social Sciences Librarian
220D Library
Portland State University

503.725.4501
503.725.4524
paynter at pdx.edu
http://www.pdx.edu/library/paynter.html

“The fragmentation of rational knowledge in the postmodern world has
produced a focus on information that is unaware of its history.” –
Marcus Breen (1997)